Author Topic: Can rhubarb cause painful joints?  (Read 27168 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Can rhubarb cause painful joints?
« on: March 30, 2009, 13:58:32 »
Does anyone know if there is a connection between eating rhubarb and having very painful joints in the toes?

For the past two weeks I have eaten much too much rhubarb (couldn't resist it) but I have also noticed that for the past three or four days I have had lots of pain in my feet.

Maybe there is no connection, but I thought I'd ask anyway.....
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

GRACELAND

• Hectare
Re: Can rhubarb cause painful joints?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 14:02:38 »
Not heard of It Before

You sure its not Gout   ???
i don't belive death is the end

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 14:22:37 »
I agree, sounds like gout which, contrary to belief, is not just caused by red wine and steak! See your doctor - gout is extremely painful, much more so than a regular ache or pain. My hubby has it and I am growing comfrey to use as a poultice for it.

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 14:28:58 »
Here's a bit of the scientific stuff, it makes interesting reading:

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-poison.html

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 14:30:03 »
Rhubarb is well known for aggravating arthritis, rhematism, gout, epilepsy, kidney stones & various other health problems associated with uric acid.

If you have any of the above health problems then it would be best to limit how much rhubarb you eat or avoid it altogether.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 14:32:57 »
Rhubarb is well known for aggravating arthritis, rhematism, gout, epilepsy, kidney stones & various other health problems associated with uric acid.

If you have any of the above health problems then it would be best to limit how much rhubarb you eat or avoid it altogether.

Thanks For that Never Knew that

Ta
i don't belive death is the end

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 14:53:13 »

Thank you Baccy Man, I knew someone here would have an answer!
I do have arthritis already so it's no rhubarb for me from now on.  But at least I've had my fill over the past two weeks.   :)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 14:53:59 »
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies,
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 15:07:50 »
Hi Squash 64

Seems a shame to have no more rhuabarb at all - just small quantities I am sure would not do too much harm - and they are meant to be superfoods too! So probably beneficial in other parts of the body!

O B
 ;D

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 15:47:02 »
It seems a fairly well established fact that rhubarb (and spinach) if eaten to excess can be harmful.....

http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Rheum+rhaponticum&CAN=COMIND

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 17:42:12 »
I'm not entirely convinced. The effect would have to arise through disruption of the kidneys so that uric acid crystals are formed. Wouldn't the symptoms of kidney trouble appear first?

Yes, if the stems had the same concentrations of oxalic acid as the leaves we'd all be in big trouble, but they don't although rhubarb stems do have higher levels than the other foods we eat with the same acid.

"The concentration of oxalic acid in rhubarb stems is well below the danger level, though it is much higher in the leaves and roots, which should never be eaten. The well-known laxative effect of rhubarb is a safety mechanism by which the body rids itself of this toxin before much of it can be absorbed.

Other sources of oxalic acid are:

Other foods that contain appreciable amounts of oxalic acid include cabbage, grapes, beetroot, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, chocolate, nuts, berries and tea. Plants such as sorrel, which were once used in salads also contain oxalic acid. Spinach is often thought of as a rich source of iron in the diet. Unfortunately, the high concentration of oxalic acid in the same plant is such that it effectively prevents most of this iron from being absorbed."

I think most of us eat all of vegetables and fruit mentioned, probably sorrel as well.

Worth reading the whole article.

http://everyday-chemistry.suite101.com/article.cfm/rhubarb_and_other_poisons

PS Best not to cook rhubarb in metal saucepans especially aluminium.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 17:49:43 »
Thanks for the recent replies.
I am going to stop eating rhubarb for a couple of weeks and see if my feet get better.  I have overdosed on it recently, especially as my husband loves it too.  I don't use sugar on it, just a little orange juice, and it is delicious.....  unfortunately. :(
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 19:56:15 »
Oxalic acid from the rhubarb gets into the bloodstream, and reacts with calcium there, producing a fine precipitate of calcium oxaltate, which then clogs up the kidneys. I handle the stuff so I checked!

Presumably it interacts with uric acid somehow as well.

amphibian

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 22:16:37 »
I test Oxalate levels in people's urine, as part of a Metabolic Stone Profile, Calcium Oxalate is a significant factor in kidney stone formation. Being a non-soluble crystal it is hard for the kidneys to dispose of it.

PJW_Letchworth

• Half Acre
    • the allotment - plot 36a
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 00:08:21 »
Here's a bit of the scientific stuff, it makes interesting reading:

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-poison.html

GULP!  :o I never knew it could be so harmful!  Mind you, it brings a new meaning to a murder weapon if you were killed by a rhubarb crumble!  ;D
"I will be really pleased when I've had enough of this"

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 06:21:04 »

GULP!  :o I never knew it could be so harmful!  Mind you, it brings a new meaning to a murder weapon if you were killed by a rhubarb crumble!  ;D

;D
Almost as bad as being killed by a butternut squash - which is what almost happened to me when my husband accidentally (I hope) dropped one down the stairs just as I was going up them.  It hit me on the head and as I sank to my knees on the stairs, my husband carried on talking to me, completely unaware of what had happened.  I was okay, but I did wonder how he would have explained it if I'd snuffed it!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 06:24:49 »
Oxalic acid from the rhubarb gets into the bloodstream, and reacts with calcium there, producing a fine precipitate of calcium oxaltate, which then clogs up the kidneys. I handle the stuff so I checked!
Presumably it interacts with uric acid somehow as well.

(from Amphibian)
I test Oxalate levels in people's urine, as part of a Metabolic Stone Profile, Calcium Oxalate is a significant factor in kidney stone formation. Being a non-soluble crystal it is hard for the kidneys to dispose of it.

Thank you Robert and Amphibian, definitely no more rhubarb for me!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 06:53:15 »
My  OH ate a bought rhubarb crumble a couple of years ago & had terrible pain in his kidney area. We put it down to the rhubarb at the time.
Janet

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal