Author Topic: How Much should I be paying for greenhouse Glass??!  (Read 41754 times)

Vinnypeewee

• Not So New ...
How Much should I be paying for greenhouse Glass??!
« on: March 23, 2009, 12:36:32 »
Hi Guys!!

Just acquired a 8x6 greenhouse in great nick!! the only downside is it needs 12 panes of glass :( !!!

Soooo.. how much should i be paying for a 2'x2' sheet of glass... the first garden center i went to to get a price said proper horticultural strengthened glass was £6.50 for a  2x2 sheet!! That's Nearly £80 total.... but a new 8x6 green house is only £140 new with over 36 pieces of glass!!

Or should i just go to a glazier and get normal 'non fancy glass' ??

A free greenhouse is starting to sound extremely expensive??!!

Cheers for your help!!

Vince

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: How Much should I be paying for greenhouse Glass??!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 13:15:46 »
Standard horticultural glass costs between £1.00-£2.50 per 2'x2' sheet from a glazier, for safety glass or acrylic/polycarbonate glazing the price varies from £4.50-£10 depending on the material & the thickness.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 14:04:36 »
horticultural glass is 3 quid a 2x2 sheet here!! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Vinnypeewee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 16:07:54 »
hmmm .. im asking for 'greenhouse glass' so does that mean there quoting me for the expensive tuffened stuff???

Should i be asking for horticultural glass .... ??  All 3 separate quotes today have ben more than £5 sheet :(

Vinnypeewee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 16:56:09 »
Standard horticultural glass costs between £1.00-£2.50 per 2'x2' sheet from a glazier, for safety glass or acrylic/polycarbonate glazing the price varies from £4.50-£10 depending on the material & the thickness.

where do you get it from at that price baccy man.. im only on anglesey so would travel down to get it near you for that pice!!!!

naff

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 17:05:20 »
Hi,Vinnypeewee
                          I,ve probalbly got 12 2x2 panes you can have from my spares.Bought all the glass for my12x8 greenhouse from a guy on ebay.He,s a commercial grower with loads from old glasshouses and I can get more if I need it. I,m only in Mynydd Llandegai (Bangor) so pm me if you want to arrange to meet or pick it up.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 01:08:39 »
I get it from a local firm called called Red kite glass they supply most of the other companies around here so iv'e never found anywhere cheaper locally.
The address & phone number are on the website, they are slow to respond to email so you are better off phoning if you want a quote.
http://www.redkite-glass.co.uk/

Vinnypeewee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 08:55:06 »
Hi,Vinnypeewee
                          I,ve probalbly got 12 2x2 panes you can have from my spares.Bought all the glass for my12x8 greenhouse from a guy on ebay.He,s a commercial grower with loads from old glasshouses and I can get more if I need it. I,m only in Mynydd Llandegai (Bangor) so pm me if you want to arrange to meet or pick it up.

Naff you have PM and i've emailed too.. lookforward to hearing from you!!! cheers very much!

Baccy man, cheers for that. Hopefully got it soerted but will keep that company in mind!

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 20:46:13 »
Just found this thread so apologies for the delay in posting a reply.

When I needed a new pane of glass for my greenhouse I rung a local double glazing company & asked if they stocked glass panels for greenhouses.

Their reply???   Certainly, in various sizes, £2.50 for a 2' x 2' panel!!!!!!!

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal