Author Topic: Big scale weedkiller  (Read 9461 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Big scale weedkiller
« on: March 13, 2009, 18:06:24 »
Now I am ignorant about weedkillers, don't use them, not even at work, so have never learnt a great deal about them.  However, today I met with a new customer who has a MASSIVE area of nettles at the back of her very very long garden and although I gave her all the no chemical options, she wants me to go in with a chemical and blitz the lot - she doesn't care if all that is left is bare earth.  So, any advice from any of you who have gone down this route before.  I have googled and see Glyphosate seems to come up constantly - is that going to do the trick?

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Big scale weedkiller
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 18:32:54 »
It will knock them down, but not for long. It is systemic  so as it hits the leaves it travels around the plant and kills it. But only the weeds it hits, any seeds that are dormant will grow later an as the ground is not affected as the stuff neutralises on contact with the soil.

If you spray then wait a few weeks so a lot more of the nettles are growing, wait a few weeks, give it another blast of exactly the same weedkiller. After that lot wilts, block out the light to the ground with mypex for a couple
months.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 18:35:42 »
Thanks Ace - just the man to answer my question.  ;D

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 18:41:18 »
As Ace says, glyphosate does work but will need repeated application.  One way is to apply the Roundup, wait for them to blacken and die, and then dig them up.  It's much easier when the plants are dead.

http://tinyurl.com/dcmgzy is a (relatively) cheap way to buy glyphosate in bulk.

Alternatively, if she doesn't mind the bare earth for a year, simply use sodium chlorate.  You can get a bucket of the stuff from B&Q for a few quid.  It'll kill everything, but the ground remains unusable for a season.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 19:01:27 »
I did wonder about sodium chlorate.  Nope, she isn't bothered if there is nothing left and she can't use it for a year, to be honest, it is an large area of wasteland at the moment anyhow - incredibly rough ground, but she doesn't want the nettles because of her son and there is a gate at the back which leads from her garden to the bridal path which she like access to year round, especially in the summer, when of course it is smothered with nettles.

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 19:09:46 »

Please , can't you do without chemicals    >:(

There is another way ---   dig the b...... s out !    :(

Any way, why don't you want to grow butterflies  ????     ???

Hertfordshire,   south east England

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 19:11:21 »
Use a fork.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 19:50:53 »
Okay, I charge £15 an hour.  The area of nettles is as big as my allotment.  It would cost her a small fortune.  She is a single mum.  How do you suggest she pays me for the amount of time it would take.  Hire a digger....cost?  Weed supressing membrane...cost?  Of course, if you would like to come and dig them for free for her and I, then you are more than welcome - she has asked family and friends and they all run a mile.  Yes, I have suggested other alternatives, but she doesn't want a massive area of  6 foot tall nettles come summer with her 6 year old boy running around.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 19:52:14 »
Use a fork.

Sorry Im not available this evening  ;) ;D ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 19:59:53 »
Sodium chlorate is another way but be careful it leaches out to nearby ground. Nothing will grow there for 3 years, better the roundup and then scatter some  grass seed or barn sweepings, then treat it as a meadow, rough cut it now and again.

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 20:11:53 »
My advice would be if you do go for the glyphosate option then don't buy roundup, you can get wilkos or similar own-brand glyphosate for at least half the price and you won't be giving your money to monsanto.. 

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 20:17:54 »
Also, if you're doing it as part of your business by law you're supposed to have a NPTC pesticides license.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 20:21:45 »
use a bush cutter on a good petrol strimmer or a scythe to cut it back then burn it

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 20:26:48 »
Quite frankly if the client can't afford to pay it ceases to be your problem. Most of my clients are mega rich but sometimes they turn funny colours when I tell them how much. Some say yes and some say no. I will not use weedkillers as I value my health rather highly. I suggest you buy the client the product, instruct them in its use, and leave them to get Parkinsons.

Anyway, the child is still a baby till it is able to fall into the nettles without crying and a boy should not be allowed long trousers till he can walk in silence through the entire patch.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 21:18:29 »
Emma, please be very carefull with that chemical.  Do not put your health in danger. I am sure the woman can do the spraying herself or even ask the local council to help.
Think very carefully about such a large area to treat please Emma. ;D

marcusexeter

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 23:18:05 »
and Emma - I think your tone to flossy was rather sharp, if you asking for advice on a forum ........

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 23:30:40 »
Marcus, please do not come on here criticising our Emma, she is a very respected member of this forum.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 23:42:05 »
Emma,I never use chemicals.I would suggest if a client come to me and could not afford the fee that she works with you for a few sessions.

I would strim the lot down,burn it then cover the lot in heavy cardboard,free from most shops.The client then could dig over in time,remove all Roots and then put in a lot of grass seed.

This would be a quick way of making the area safe for the child.Also very cheap.

If she wants it sprayed let somebody do it who is trained with chemicals and go on to the next customer.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 08:54:44 »
I've used sodium chlorate in the past to kill ground before laying chippings for a large sweeping pathway round some island beds and where the lady didn't want the cost of membrane (+ the cost of laying it etc.) 3yrs on it's still smart, needing now only an annual spray with glysophate from Wilkos + the occasional spot-weed (and no plants in the beds suffered because of the treatment ;D)

The benefit of glyphosate only, for me,  is that, after strimming and clearing then applying, it guarantees you return visit income every 2 months, say? depending on the weather, to check & re-spray if necessary 8)

I use a spray container kept expecially for the s/c, even tho it's carefully flushed through and disposable protective gear's cheap to be had..

It needs a good watch on the weather forecast tho and I look to do stuff like this when we're guaranteed a run of good and calm wind-free weather.A job I had to do all this last year, simply, just didn't get done because we didn't have the right climactic conditions for it(+client availability+my availability)...the area was kept strimmed as much as possible & it's a job outstanding for this season.

A thought...any chance, should you go the glyphosate route, the lady would like a path made through to her gate? I'm thinking that, with a thick mulch of bark chipping perhaps?, it would keep a pathway nettle-free pretty well, while the newly growing nettles either side wait to be re-blasted.....more I think about it, more I like the idea 8) ;D

and PS...what a shame the lady doesn't want to house some ex-batt chooks. From what I read on the chook forum, they'd sort that lot out for her in no time :) ;D ;D ;D

All the best in whatever you decide to do,

Lish x

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 09:18:29 »
They certainly would... chooks love nettle beds. I still remember we had a mint bed 5' high from where we put the droppings when we cleaned out the shed...  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal