Author Topic: Big scale weedkiller  (Read 9462 times)

flossy

• Hectare
Re: Big scale weedkiller
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2009, 19:22:26 »

Thanks Marcus,  oh to be long standing and respected !?

Some get away with the odd remark and some don't !?

floss.
Hertfordshire,   south east England

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2009, 22:06:26 »
When information is asked for I do dislike answers which criticise and don't answer the  question.
Ace I hope you can reassure me my patch of ground on which I put roundup last Sept. is O.K. to plant with potatoes next month.

Should be OK, as I have stated, roundup neutralised as it touched soil and all that was in the weeds has now gone.

This is not just as read on the packet advice. Apart from being certified ;D, I am also certificated for the spraying of herbicides.

There are a lot of scaremongering stories about, weedkillers, I have been doing it now for over 25 years and no ill effects.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2009, 06:40:48 »
anyone spraying another persons land MUST have a PA1, and a PA6 certificate, the penalties for spraying without the relevant certificaTES are horrendous!!!
(even if you doing it for a mate)

Tony can i spray at mums? 
technically NO! (you will be a 'contractor')
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2009, 18:14:48 »
Nettles are easy to get out as they're shallow rooting.I use a mattock as it cuts underneath them easily and has the weight to chop through the thickest root.

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2009, 18:28:14 »

'' I have been doing it now for over 25 yrs and have no ill effects ''  quote from Ace,

yesterday,

You had better change your Avarter then Ace, you look a bit  '' ill effected ''

to me ,       ;D

floss xxx

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2009, 18:32:08 »
Survived all that - all I can offer about sany praying is to use a lever pump sprayer with a fan head which jets rather than mists. If that make sense?

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2009, 18:59:21 »
Thanks Ace.  I always suspected you had hidden talents.

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2009, 19:09:35 »

Oh he has , love him,        ;D     ;D    ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2009, 12:46:49 »
I got my glyphosate from a farmers' collective shop / agricultural supplier. Quite a lot cheaper than Garden centres but you have to buy a large bottle.

iain j

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2009, 12:01:12 »
I'd rather not use chemicals, I thought that was the idea of allotment no chemicals maybe I am wrong
Iain j

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2009, 12:55:17 »
I'd rather not use chemicals, I thought that was the idea of allotment no chemicals maybe I am wrong

The idea of allotments is to grow food.  There's no mention of "chemicals", for or against.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2009, 13:43:09 »
There are a lot of scaremongering stories about, weedkillers, I have been doing it now for over 25 years and no ill effects

I don't know about Roundup (did resort to it when I got my plot) but there have been plenty of other things which turned out to have horrible side effects, DDT etc. An ex work colleague nearly died from using something called Roseclear, which was a supposedly safe organophosphate. It paralysed his breathing and his heart stopped, and he only survived as they lived right near a hospital.

iain j

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2009, 15:31:17 »

The idea of allotments is to grow food.  There's no mention of "chemicals", for or against.
That's what I ment to say growveg without cemicals
Iain j

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2009, 15:50:50 »
There are a lot of scaremongering stories about, weedkillers, I have been doing it now for over 25 years and no ill effects

I don't know about Roundup (did resort to it when I got my plot) but there have been plenty of other things which turned out to have horrible side effects, DDT etc. An ex work colleague nearly died from using something called Roseclear, which was a supposedly safe organophosphate. It paralysed his breathing and his heart stopped, and he only survived as they lived right near a hospital.

How curious.  The old Roseclear whose formulation was banned contained Pirimicarb, Triforine, and Bupirimate.  None of them contain phosphorus, so they're certainly not organophosphates.  The only hazard to health that was recorded was potential eye or skin damage from splashing undiluted liquid.

Rather worryingly, your colleague's experience with Roseclear was never reported, since there were no serious incidents recorded from amateur use.

Roseclear 2 and the current Roseclear 3 don't contain organophosphates either.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2009, 19:35:01 »
Re Roseclear, perhaps I am mistaken about it being an organophosphate. It was probably the old Roseclear as it happened about 20 years ago. The guy did report it and at the time I worked there he was trying to sue the chemical company. Seem to remember the problem was that the hospital didnt have definitive proof that it was the chemical that had caused the problem, by the time he had made the link and told them, there werent any traces of it in his body.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal