Author Topic: poisoned  (Read 2709 times)

ACE

• Hectare
poisoned
« on: March 04, 2009, 09:58:04 »
I doubt it. But has anybody had adverse effects from handling lilly bulbs I potted up about 600 yesterday and I was decidely ill last night and I still can't keep anything down this morning.

I take it they were only dusted with sulpher. As they came from a reputable supplier, I would not expect any nasties on them.

My OH is alright so that takes out the dinner being off, I only thing I had different was an apple, (home grown russet).

I also worked on my own all day and did not meet anybody but the missus.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: poisoned
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 10:37:48 »
It's possible, I know lilies are lethal for cats - if they brush against the pollen and then lick it from their fur it will cause their internal organs to pack up and they'll die.  So I wouldn't be surprised if you had a reaction after handling 600 of them.  You're probably lucky to be still alive. 

Hyacinths also exhude a chemical which is an irritant, my son worked at a bulb farm when he was 16, sorting bulbs from stones, he got a rash, and in the garden centres (well, Hilliers, anyway) they provide gloves for people handling them.

The Tuscan Beaneater

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 11:01:49 »
Sorry to hear you aren't well ACE... hope it doesn't last. Might be worth contacting Toxicology in your health authority or the poisons unit (? In Birmingham I think)  :-\

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 12:17:26 »
Missus rang the local GP.  his advice was to sip water but please don't go to the hospital as they are over run with sickness and diarrhea. So it looks as if this is something I picked up at the weekend. Evidently there's a lot of it about.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 12:31:56 »
If it doesn't clear up in a week go anyway... you may have picked up campylabacter... I got it in the summer...  :-X

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 16:54:32 »

Hyacinths also exhude a chemical which is an irritant,

OI!! Watch it, Bean :o

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 17:03:01 »
Looks like I will have to wear me protective clothing when we go shopping together Hyacinth ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 18:14:35 »
Tut tut Shirl. :o       ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 18:31:20 »

Are there more than one of you then  ??? ??? ??? ??? ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 18:45:10 »

Are there more than one of you then  ??? ??? ??? ??? ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

well. Ok....I might have put on a bit more weight this winter....but thanks M8 for tellin evryone :o :) ;D ;D ;D

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 19:17:42 »
Ace my sympathies are with you but my money is on the bug, working in a and e i see loads of people that come in with them, and we get loads of kids with it too, and believe me at the moment there is loads of it aroun.
i managed to get it on my weeks holiday, was ill with it before i went, free most of the time over there and then back with avengeance on sat absolutely hideous so i know how you feel
plenty of fluids as and when you can tolerate them and rest it really knocks it out of you, hope you feel better soon,
by the way despite the fact that i had it so badly hubby luckily appears to have escaped it.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 19:31:34 »
just started here, must've caught it at the clinic, sloping off to bed now  :'(
hope you get better soon, ace  :)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 19:32:11 »
oh bless you hope you feel better soon  :-*

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 19:44:19 »
Get well soon Ace.   :D   :-*

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 10:15:27 »
Back to normal today. Although 6lbs lighter. Not a diet I would recommend. I have to stay out of circulation for 24 hours until I am free of contamination.  Looking out at the weather, that ain't no hardship.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 11:11:01 »
Glad you're feeling better, Ace.  Take care and make the most of the grotty weather  :) :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 20:52:02 »
I was concerned there for a while Ace.
If you had been hospitalised, I'm sure that the nursing care would have sorted you out & that you would have been out in the spring!

I'll get my coat----------------
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 22:25:32 »
Tel u nicked my gag, I had that one lined up, don't let Ace fool u he only had a bit of man flu.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 03:51:43 »
its amazing ACE i lost 6lbs too but what a diet :-X
if you had been admitted to my hospital i would have looked after you  ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 08:24:37 »
Tel u nicked my gag, I had that one lined up, don't let Ace fool u he only had a bit of man flu.  ;D ;D ;D

1. Man-Flu is more painful than childbirth. This is an irrefutable scientific fact*.
*(Based on a survey of over 100,000 men.)

2. Man-Flu is not 'just a cold'. It is a condition so severe that the germs from a single Man-Flu sneeze could wipe out entire tribes of people living in the rainforest. And probably loads of monkeys too.

3. Women do not contract Man-Flu. At worst they suffer from what is medically recognised as a 'Mild Girly Sniffle' – which, if a man caught, he would still be able to run, throw a ball, tear the phone book in half and compete in all other kinds of manly activities.

4. Men do not 'moan' when they have Man-Flu. They emit involuntary groans of agony that are entirely in proportion to the unbearable pain they are in.

5. Full recovery from Man-Flu will take place much quicker if their simple requests for care, sympathy and regular cups of tea are met. Is that really so much to ask? Florence Nightingale would have done it

6. More men die each year from MFN (Man-Flu Neglect) than lots and lots of other things. (Like rabbit attacks or choking on toast).

7. Men suffering from Man-Flu want nothing more than to get out of bed and come to work, but they are too selfless to risk spreading this awful condition amongst their friends and colleagues. In this sense, they are the greatest heroes this country has ever known.

8. In 1982 scientists managed to simulate the agonising symptoms of full blown Man-Flu in a female chimp. She became so ill that she had to go to the pub.

9. Man-Flu germs are more powerful than He-Man, The Thundercats and The A-Team combined, even with input from doctor who and harry hill. They are too strong for weak, nasty tasting 'lady medicines' like Lemsip, so don't bother trying to force them on a victim of Man-Flu.

10. While it may seem like a Man-Flu sufferer is just lying around enjoying 'The Jeremy Kyle Show' it is a commonly recognised medical fact that the exact pitch and frequency of Jeremy Kyle's voice has remarkable soothing powers.

Every minute in this country one man is struck down by Man-Flu. Women, all we ask is that each of you offers them a cup of tea, some kind words and your undivided attention and care. Then maybe, just maybe, we'll beat this monstrous disease together.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal