Author Topic: Wildlife of the unwanted kind!  (Read 1915 times)

Chrissie

• Half Acre
  • My cutting patch
    • RSPB Shropshire Local Group - Southern branch
Wildlife of the unwanted kind!
« on: March 03, 2009, 14:43:17 »
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum (is there one for four-legged pests??) but here goes... Our organic site seems to be absolutely plagued by mice, voles, moles and rats. The problem isn't so much what they eat but the tunnels they make - last year I wondered why several crops weren't growing at all and when I looked their roots were just hanging in mid-air.

Obviously we can't use poison and I don't wish the creatures any particular harm (well not most of the time!) so can anyone recommend anything to deter all this earth-moving activity? Owls/foxes/cats/dogs would be good but difficult to arrange!

Thanks very much for any advice.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Wildlife of the unwanted kind!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 08:37:52 »
Traps.

Chrissie

• Half Acre
  • My cutting patch
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 08:57:41 »
Thanks Robert - yes I can see that would work but we live 2 miles away and wouldn't be able to check them frequently enough. What we really want is something (noxious to them but harmless to us!) to put in the tunnels to repel the little blighters - probably the Holy Grail for all gardeners.

I live in hope...!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 12:28:28 »
Human wee, it does work and organic ? collect the morning samples bottle and pour down the holes and any new holes that arrive.
As rodents rely on smell this puts them off and they will move on and no harm is done to them  :D
I have used it on moles and works well they moved on. This is a very old methord which gardeners used years ago.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 12:32:36 »
Does this work for grey squirrels too?  Not content with digging up my bulbs when they're in the ground, they are now destroying them when they're in leaf!
Keep Calm and Carry On

fishpond

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 14:56:08 »
Squirrels eat most of my pears every year :'(. Lucky for me they do not seem fond of apples.  :)

Chrissie

• Half Acre
  • My cutting patch
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 17:34:38 »
Human wee, it does work and organic

Thanks Teresa, that's a very interesting idea. Our site "loo" is just a little shed for privacy - you take your own bucket then do you own thing with the contents. Might as well put it down the rodent holes as put it in the compost bin! Definitely worth a try.

Tom W.

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 18:04:02 »
FWIW I have just installed an animal "repeller" which comes highly recommended from those who have tried it. I bought 2 via E-Bay at 1/3 of RRP as I wanted mainly to discourage cats from emptying themselves in my raised asparagus bed. However I am told that it also repels squirrels, foxes, dogs and badgers without hurting them. It's a sonic thingy piched at a discouraging level for our animal friends which can be directed to cover an area stretching about 85 ft. It hurts neither them nor us. Furthermore, I believe it also affects wood mice, bank voles, rates etc. - but, sadly, not underground! My asparagus bed looks rather like a piece of Swiss cheese, being riddled with rodent holes which is why, originally, I wasn't too concerned about the feline visitors. Traps will work for the mice etc. but they breed so quickly that I doubt the long term effectiveness of the old spring trap. Human wee certainly works but it's not the most appealing method of control.

Having put up the "repeller" yesterday it has certainly proved effective. No cat visits - but I guess that's possibly something to do with the 4 ins of snow apparently triggered by my new gizmo in this part of Dorset :-))

Will post a more considered evaluation after a week or two if this would be helpful to the group.
Tom W.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal