Author Topic: Now he's upset!  (Read 4346 times)

Squash63

• Half Acre
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Now he's upset!
« on: March 01, 2009, 15:01:45 »
I recently wrote about a bloke at our site complaining that he had never seen the site looking so bad in all the time he had been there.  He was objecting to plastic bottles on top of canes, plastic water butts and compost  bins.

I mentioned that his own plot was mainly grass which he strimmed. (I didn't mean grass as in 'lawn' but couch grass and weeds)  Among the grass and weeds, this bloke had a few clumps of chrysanths, rose bushes and some rhubarb. 

He must have realised that his plot was not up to scratch so he asked a neighbour from his road if he would like a part of it to grow his own things on.  He then went on holiday for a week, leaving the neighbour to dig the plot.

He obviously forgot to tell the neighbour exactly where to dig because when he returned from holiday today he went mental!  The other man had dug a good two thirds of the plot and thrown away everything that was growing including the chrysanths, roses and rhubarb!

I can't help feeling a bit sorry for him, but on the other hand .........maybe not. :)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham
www.growit.ik.com

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Now he's upset!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 15:07:56 »
 ;D  ::)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 15:58:46 »
Am I sorry?

Watch my face!!

8)  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)

Two Choices

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 15:59:08 »
Hi Squash, as the old saying goes "you reap what you sow".  From this and your previous post it is clear that this individual is lacking in their communication skills :)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 16:06:04 »
Hi Squash, as the old saying goes "you reap what you sow".  From this and your previous post it is clear that this individual is lacking in their communication skills :)

also lacking chrysanths, roses & rhubarb now ;D But he's lacking couch grass etc...seems a fair swap to me 8)

Hey Squash...in the spirit of good neighbourliness ::), fancy offering him a rhubarb cutting?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 16:36:59 »
loved it!!  ;D ;D serves the beggar right!!

carlseawolf

• Not So New ...
    • a plot on the landscape
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 16:57:40 »
HA! HA! it could have only been better if he had taken out the plants and left the grass.
Ilfracombe , North Devon

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 17:18:49 »
Sounds like Karma to me! ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 17:20:53 »
Thats my favourite saying . What goes around comes around. You may have to wait a while sometimes but eventually it happens. I bet you couldn't keep a straight face Betty ;D ;D ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 17:44:32 »
Thanks for sharing that  ;D ;D ;D ;D

It put a smile on all our faces.  He got what he deserved  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The Tuscan Beaneater

tim_n

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 08:54:47 »
might be able to salvage the rhubarb - if it's still about...

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 09:58:55 »
I'd love to say i wasn't laughing my head off.... but i can't!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Serves the grumpy ole so n so right.
Thas a rummun !!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 10:08:57 »
Brilliant!

You didn't have to wait long for your revenge - even though it was not instigated by you - it is all the sweeter!

Don't feel sorry for this miserable man!

Old Bird

;D

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 10:18:13 »
If he had put some canes with bottles on marking where his chrysanths were, his mate wouldnt have dug em up and slung em.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:21:23 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 12:13:38 »
love it how did you keep a straight face?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 14:18:24 »
Ha! Poetic justice! ;D ;D I think his mate just needs to put a few bottles on top of canes to finish it off....... ;D ;D ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 17:21:06 »
1. Should he just let someone else share his plot without permission.
2. Now its been 2/3rds dug he will have too maintain it.
3. Now everybodys CANED him lets hope you have the BOTTLE to give him a warning letter when he lets it go to pot again.
4. I also pissed myself laughing.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

*pixie*

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 18:38:25 »
How can you dig up a rose accidently?  :-\ Unless he thought it was all to go.

I love stories like that, compost bins and water butts oh my.....anyone thinks the place was for gardening  ::)

brill story

Teen

• Not So New ...
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 18:57:55 »
Perhaps his neighbour thought he was a miserable old bugger too and did it on purpose.  Ignorance is bliss!

I have two know it all/interfering types at my site too.  Why can't people just mind their own business and let people do their own thing.  I thought that was the whole point to allotment gardening being able to customise your little bit of land the way you want it.  It's not like they get it right all of the time.
Teen

Squash63

• Half Acre
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 19:54:13 »
Thanks for all your replies  :)

I think the old bloke assumed that his neighbour could do mind-reading as well as gardening.  It never occurred to him to show the other man which plants should be left in and the man is probably not all that experienced in gardening anyway.

Old Bloke had introduced his neighbour to me a couple of weeks ago, and asked if it was alright for him to help. We don't mind if plot-holders have people to help them on their plots and this has always worked well in the past.  As Secretary, I 'try' to make sure that people are happy and most of them are.

While Old Bloke was away on holiday, I went over to his plot a couple of times and chatted to the men and even told them what a good job they were doing.  It did cross my mind that I hoped Old Bloke would appreciate all their hard work but I never imagined that he hadn't told them where to dig.

I saw Old Bloke today but because he had calmed down a lot, I didn't mention his plot to him.  I wanted to know if he had spoken to his neighbour about things, but I just couldn't face listening to him ranting on again.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham
www.growit.ik.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal