Author Topic: Sharp sand  (Read 1146 times)

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
Sharp sand
« on: February 25, 2009, 12:36:30 »
Hi. I, like many allotmenteers, are growing in clay and therefore have drainage problems (amongst other things!). I've been told to dig in sharp sand and this will help but is it just a case of going down to B&Q and using there's or is there something special I should be using?

Thanks - TEYman

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Sharp sand
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:44:59 »
You'd probably need a vast lot to make any difference; is there a cheaper source anywhere? If you can get a lot of organic matter, that would probably help more. Even dead leaves rot down to useful humus.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 12:50:43 »
You're by the coast.  Wouldn't seaweed work?

Before digging it in or layering on top, leave it out in the rain elsewhere to wash off the salt (unless you're growing asparagus  :)).

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 13:11:10 »
It's certainly worth using sharp sand in the beds where you are sowing carrots, but to do it on a large scale you'd need a lorry-load. (And it would probably be cheaper to get Fortnum & Mason to supply all your veg!)

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 13:25:28 »
I'm on heavy clay too and agree with others. Adding plenty of organic matter - home-made compost, leaf mould, manure - will give you a fertile clay loam over time. Planting carrot seeds into a row of sharp sand works well for me but I wouldn't add it in large quantities. Small amounts of "clay breaker" (incorporating horticultural gypsum) also works well in particularly difficult places, but this is expensive too.  Organic matter, organic matter and more organic matter is the answer.

Good luck!
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 13:27:07 »
I'd say truckloads of seaweed...........as much as you can dig in. It worked wonders on my garden.

Sand is an alternative in an emergency, but it doesn't add organic matter, which is what I think you should be after.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 17:05:56 »
Welcome to the Clay Club!!!!
As everyone else has said ... so far ..... organic matter and time will improve it. Overtime it does improve, the areas I have cultivated on my plot have improved within the space of a year - far from brilliant yet but on its way to better  :)  I'm going to grow carrots in tubs and boxes on the plot this year to get round the clay thing

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal