Author Topic: Topsoil  (Read 1539 times)

Little Bee

• Quarter Acre
  • Hopton On Sea
Topsoil
« on: February 23, 2009, 14:03:58 »
hi all.
I have,well OH has made up my raised beds from scaffold planks

The topsoil is now going on order.

The question is i have been offered either top graded screened topsoil that has no stones in what-so-ever or top graded topsoil with small stones left in,which do i go for ???

Have been told the one with stones in will be best for growing veg....hmmm confused now ::)
Nothings sweeter than honey X
http://bexsallotment.blogspot.com/

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: Topsoil
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 14:26:19 »
The topsoil with small stones in should have better drainage, the one without stones would normally be used for topdressing lawns. The best thing to do is take a look before you buy it.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 15:18:04 »
The best thing to do is take a look before you buy it.

Good advice!!

And have another look before it is tipped off the lorry.

My daughter went to have a look at what a supplier had to offer and chose the one she wanted and arranged for its delivery.

It was delivered when she was at work and it turned out not to be the same quality as she had seen and ordered.

So be warned some companies use double standards!

To answer your question a few stones up to the size of a bantams egg are OK but as I mentioned above you might get fist sized stones and that not so good.

So my advice is look at it before it is tipped!!

Sorry for the synicism but once bitten twice shy is my motto!

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 20:53:48 »
Just my opinion - but I would cancel the order for topsoil and order a couple of tons of manure instead. Dig this into your raised beds where you can this year (not for roots and such) order more in Autumn and just pile it in and leave it till spring when it will have broken down nicley.

You will be amazed at just how quick the soil level in your beds rises.... and full of manure will be lovley quality whatever your soil type

Little Bee

• Quarter Acre
  • Hopton On Sea
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 21:09:19 »
There is no soil in the raised beds at all so adding just manure wouldn't work.
The so called soil where the beds are placed is compacted and full of stones.
When it rains it then turns into a swamp.
It is a very long story but basically the ground was a big dip in the heath which was filled in to make an allotment.
The soil is so compacted because of all the heavy lorries tipping their loads which was mainly rubble.
We had a full sized tractor on to try to turn the ground over....it failed so that is why i have gone for the raised beds.
All this is only in the very centre of the allotment,the surrounding area is fine.
You will see this on my blogsite

So all in all i have to have topsoil then will add manure.
Nothings sweeter than honey X
http://bexsallotment.blogspot.com/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 12:28:00 »
It certainly sounds as though you need the topsoil! Add whatever organic matter you can as well. It doesn't have to be manure; dead leaves don't have the same nutritional content but will raise humus levels just as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal