Author Topic: cat on busy road  (Read 2689 times)

sarah

• Hectare
cat on busy road
« on: February 22, 2009, 09:46:28 »
i have had my cat for about two years now and he has until now confined his roaming to the back of the house and the surrounding houses at the back. we have a huge garden and the houses backing onto us all have big gardens and quiet roads. out front of us is a big driveway area and then a road which is busy during rush hour and not so busy at other times. my big daft tom cat has recently taken a liking to a proprty on the other side of this road and i am not sure if there is anything i can do to deter him. he is a big young tom cat and it would be impossible to confine him to the house (which i wouldnt do) and there is no way i could make the boundries cat escape proof. i guess he will just have to take his chances on the road but i wonder if there is anything i can do to stop him going over this road?

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: cat on busy road
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 10:16:37 »
you could try what an old landlord of mine did when he got a kitten. He tried to make it road wary by picking it up and throwing it at a parked car

not really suggesting you try it - if it's a big cat, you might dent someone's bonnet

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 10:18:27 »
 :) There's must be something of great attraction over there if he hasn't shown any interest before.  Do we take it he's still fully intact  ;D

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 11:42:45 »
Taurus i was thinking the very same thing if he is intact, there might be a girl over the road also fully intact and she probably calling.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 12:19:00 »
no he's neutered.  but he is the king of the hill around here and has a large domain out the back of the houses.  i suppose he may be scavangeing. there is a hole in the hedge i saw him go through so maybe i should check it out.

i like the idea of throwing him at a parked car (in a humerous sort of way - he's a daft begger) but i know i couldnt do it. he's a big cat and i think i would injure him. 

Pink Fingers

• Quarter Acre
  • That's the pot planted, now for the veg ...
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 14:32:15 »
You could try shouting and banging tin trays when he looks like he is going to venture over there, and scare him back to his own garden. 

Alternatively, get a (very trusted) friend to drive their car up the road when he's around with lots of revving and horn blowing.  If the first doesn't stop him the second should at least make him a little more wary.

Although I live in only a small lane, this has worked on my two and as soon as they see a car they dive to safety at whichever side of the road is nearest.

Good luck

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 14:39:23 »
Find him a lady friend on this side of the road ?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 13:52:10 »
put him on a lead? it's what responsible dog owners do!
You couldn't make it up!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal