Author Topic: Newbie to Ponds - Advice please  (Read 1853 times)

Sexki11en

• Not So New ...
Newbie to Ponds - Advice please
« on: February 21, 2009, 10:41:22 »
We moved into a property last year with 2 ponds - one small one at the front and a slightly larger one at the back.  We have absolutely no idea what to do with these and so left them be last year.  I do know that the front one desperately needs cleaning this year tho as it is thick with green and manky looking.

The front one has no pump and no plants, just a bit of manky water in it (and a frog! which i'd like to encourage more of)

The back one is a bit more work I think.  It has a pump (which when you turn it on, hums but nothing is happening so I assume needs cleaning and I don't even know where to start there) a waterfall which doesn't work - I assume this is somehow something to do with the pump not working.  This pond is FULL of some sort of pond weed that I cleared some out last year but has just spread.  There are no fish and i'm happy with it this way, but I would love to encourage more frogs and newts (we had quite a few last year, despite us not having cleaned or touched anything)

Can anyone give me any advice on where to start please?

SK x

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Newbie to Ponds - Advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 11:06:20 »
This link and its related links will give you some basic  information on pond care;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Ponds-Care/Pond%20Care.htm

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal