Author Topic: Howdy  (Read 3085 times)

chri55yboy

• Not So New ...
  • Crook, Co. Durham
Howdy
« on: February 19, 2009, 16:36:07 »
Hi
Just found the site and signed up and thought I'd say Hi to everyone.
My wife and I are currently awaiting some plans from our local council for the local allotments that are available in our area, all very exciting but on the other hand kind of daunting.  They have said the average plot size is 250sq metres, that sounds huge to me or is that kind of the norm?
Really love the idea of growing our own and the children are excited also and seem extremely to keen to get stuck in when we have picked a plot.
Are there any things to take into consideration when picking a plot?

Great forum, sooooo much to read :)
Cheers
Chris

sarah

• Hectare
Re: Howdy
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 17:19:58 »
hi, welcome to the site! . there will be plenty of advice for you here and plenty of encouragement. spend a while having a lookaround at the different boards and you will pick up loads of ideas. while you are waiting for your plot how about making some plans. this is great for the kids too. get them to list all the veg and fruit they would like to grow and then draw up some plans - read up about crop rotation so that you can put the right veg in the right beds.

as for things to look out for when choosing a plot try to get one near to water and bear in mind accessibilty if you want to get stuff onto your plot like wood for beds or manure deliveries etc. 

look up about perrenial weeds and try to get a plot that doesnt have too many of them. (might not get much choice on that though)

try to avoid shady plots and plots next to very overgrown ones.

ask loads of quesstions we will try an answer as many as poss and post some pictures when you have a plot. good luck   :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 17:24:34 »
Welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy it.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 17:26:45 »
Welcome to the site Chris,  ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 17:52:08 »
Wotcha!  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 18:17:00 »
Hiya, Chris, welcome to the mad house  ;D
nettles grow on fertile soil so don't be put off, try to avoid lots of bindweed or marestail..you can get rid but it's a long haul  :)
most of all, when you get your plot, enjoy it  ;D

james1

• Half Acre
  • Huyton
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 18:58:02 »
Welcome to a great forum  :) :) :)

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 19:03:01 »
welcome enjoy it wouldn't be without mine great for getting away from the world

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 19:14:54 »
Hello Chris and welcome to A4A from me too  :)

Some great advice has already been mentioned.

Couple of other things to note perhaps, if you have a choice (lucky you).

Find out which way the sun rises/sets.
Where does most of the bad weather/ strong winds come from.
Take a fork with your and test the soil.
Near a water source saves lugging watering cans.
Check for existing plants.. i.e raspberry plants, asperagus etc
Is the plot surrounded by cultivated plots? This will help to reduce weed seeds taking up residence on your plot  ;)

Good luck, hope you get a plot very soon

Lauren
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 19:35:30 »
Welcome to A4A

chri55yboy

• Not So New ...
  • Crook, Co. Durham
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 19:45:36 »
Thanks everyone for the very warm welcome and helpful tips already posted :)

We are certainly looking forward to all the "bumph" coming through the post in the next few days and then going out for a good nose around.  The lady at the council did say the available plots nearest our home were overgrown but they do plan to clear them soon but we can get stuck in as soon as we have one.  We never realised it would be so easy to obtain a plot, maybe they are overgrown and vacant for a reason lol.

I'll be sure check back and pick your brains once we have more details and hopefully some pics of the prospective land.

Thanks again
Chris

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 20:32:17 »
Make sure you take loads of photos as you progress  8)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 11:40:35 »
They have said the average plot size is 250sq metres, that sounds huge to me or is that kind of the norm?

Welcome Chris.

250sq meters is spot on. That's 1sq yard short of a full 10 rod plot which is standard size for allotments. I've got two that size. I did have three but I didn't have enough freezer space to put everything in  :)
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 12:30:49 »
Hi Chris, welcoime to A4A. Belioeve me,one plot is enough! ;D

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 12:33:51 »
Hi Chris - welcome to A4all.

Just to advise you - I thought my plot was HUGE wen I first got it and debated whether I should have gone for a half plot, but within the year it seemend to "shrink" on me - I had plans for it all!  Don't be daunted - you will soon use it all!
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

chri55yboy

• Not So New ...
  • Crook, Co. Durham
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 12:35:19 »
250sq meters is spot on. That's 1sq yard short of a full 10 rod plot which is standard size for allotments. I've got two that size. I did have three but I didn't have enough freezer space to put everything in  :)
Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if it would be manageable or not but if it's standard then I'm sure I/We can do it.  Can't wait to get home from work today to see if the postie has been with the plans ::)

I can see I will be learning some new terminologies along the way as well, pardon my ignorance at this stage but what is a "a full 10 rod plot " ???

Thanks
Chris

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 12:47:03 »
I can see I will be learning some new terminologies along the way as well, pardon my ignorance at this stage but what is a "a full 10 rod plot " ???

Well, to quote a very famous Granddad... "During the War"

When food was short the government allotted people with areas of land to grow their own food and so help the war effort. Hence the term "Allotment".

They calculated that a 10 rod plot or 300 square yards was just the right size for one man to manage and provide enough veg for his family. A rod is just a now old obsolete English measurement.

As for your ignorance about what a rod is, all my kids are the same when I measure something in feet and inches which are both obsolete now as well.

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 13:08:51 »
.. my kids are the same when I measure something in feet and inches which are both obsolete now as well.

Not in my head they are not! I was one of the 'transitional kids', taught imperial at primary school, metric at middle school. I still 'think' in imperial, except for babies weights which I 'think' in kilos because that has always been what I have weighed them in....only to have to translate them back into pounds for parents because everyone 'thinks' in pounds for babies weights! Odd eh! ;D

As for poles and rods.........I think however you measure your plot, and think  how enormous you think it is now, it won't seem that big once you get going! Oh dear, you can't grow too many squashes as they take up so much room, or maincrop potatoes, and if only you could fit a bit more .............perhaps that is just me....! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 14:34:30 »
A rod is just a now old obsolete English measurement.

Try telling that to the millions of cricket fans around the world!
( length of cricket pitch)
You couldn't make it up!

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 16:37:39 »
Try telling that to the millions of cricket fans around the world!
( length of cricket pitch)

That would be a chain rather than a rod.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal