Author Topic: It's official. Eggs are good for you !!  (Read 2093 times)

vegmandan

• Half Acre
    • My Allotment Diary
It's official. Eggs are good for you !!
« on: February 11, 2009, 17:47:43 »
Well,who'd have thought it.

Another food scare has been officially discredited and turned on its head.

Instead of Eggs being bad for us they are now considered to be a good food.

I wish all these scaremongering health officials would just keep quiet in future and have a look at what the majority of 90+ year old folk have eaten most of their lives before deciding on our behalfs what is supposedly bad for us. ::)

The vast majority of the longest lived folk have probably eaten loads of Butter,full fat milk and Eggs on a daily basis.

My neighbour is 95 and has had 2 boiled eggs,toast and Butter every morning for the last 60 years,so I don't suppose it's news to him.  ;D

-------------------------------------------
I will grow a 10lb Onion if it kills me !
-------------------------------------------

ACE

• Hectare
Re: It's official. Eggs are good for you !!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 18:35:30 »
I expect the 'eggheads' are now the very people that are scaremongering about climate change.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 18:50:14 »
For years I have been telling people that the results of these 'food trials' are a mess.

They have replied 'so who do we trust?'

That is a valid question, especially when suddenly you find your self with an illness which the medics say can be controlled with diet.

Truth is, medics have always blamed diet when they had no cure. Ulcers? remember them? If you had stomach ulcers you had to be on a special diet. Then they found a cure. Two sorts of antibiotics and an acid stopping drug. No more ulcer diets.

OK if you are diabetic, you need to follow diet rules. It is important for you.

But there are seval  areas where patients also need to realise these diets are American.

For example, when they say bacon they mean the fatty streaky pork kind. Not what we call bacon in the UK which is a leaner cut.

The last time I spoke to a dietician she admitted that she microwaved her meals and bought her fresh foods once a week from a supermarket. My response:-

Don't you dare tell me about food I said. Mine is taken from the ground, washed cooked and eaten within an hour of being harvested. You are eating rubbish  not me.

The reply?

'Are you cooking it in fat?'

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 18:51:07 »
    Hi vegmandan,

You gotta listen to us veterans  --   they are feeding you young people a load of

' cobblers ' -   go with freah natural food and you wont go wrong !

Proof of the pudding , is in the eating ,     ;D

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 18:51:59 »
I wonder if it means they'll change the line about pregnant women and kids only eating them "well cooked" i.e. with a solid yolk?

I must admit, one of the things I relished in both my pregnancies was breaking all the rules about what to eat!  Unpasturied cheese, runny egg yolks, seafood, nuts, occasional sip of OH's wine, coffee - had it all!!  Now have two perfectly healthy children.   All down to common sense I think!
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 19:01:46 »

Hi pippy,

Never had any trouble with pregnancy  [ far too easy in our day ! ],    regards diet , we weren't

told what or what not to eat - we were checked weekly at the ' clinic ' and if any advise about

weight etc was given where needed.  It all seems so simple compared to today !

Had two 9lb plus babies - one at home, 

Hope that whats been around will come around --  eventualy.        ;)

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 19:28:14 »
I do think quantity comes into it.  People and children seem to eat far bigger meals that I ever did or do. 

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 21:10:19 »
Think I'll have a gigantic omelette to celebrate.  ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Levi

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 01:28:38 »
I'm not sure about any difference in the quantity of food eaten nowadays but certainly the quality. We ate big platefull's but the plate was full of veg with a bit of meat or fish. The crap that people eat now astounds me, supermarket queues are an real eyeopener. Am not good on (social) history so don't know whether other countries had rations but one thing that amazes me is the way that many British diets have become ever so cosmopolitan but not as healthy as some other places cos Brits eat bits and bobs and rarely a balanced meal. Take pizza, no Italian would eat it as a meal with chips but with salad etc, same with Chinese & Indian meals, rarely a decent portion of veg in sight here but not in their homes, loads of veg dishes and a little protein. Not everyone of course, but for some it seems that the worst bits of world food are eaten.
I feel sorry for the 70's kids onwards cos I had wicked school dinners and a love of good simple food. I remember having to buy margarine special, for 'cooking' at school. Makes me mad that the current food trends reject wholesome local produce for processed chemical trash. I feel sorry for people who have been advised to have 'special' diets but for me it's full cream and butter, yeah I've added wholemeal bread and olive oil but my chips are done in dripping.   Everything in moderation makes more sense to me.  One thing that has made me laugh is that the potato is apparently no longer classed as a veg in this cloned 5 a day era, well weird for the meat and two veg generations!
One Love

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 02:41:42 »
Right O you young townie wippersnappers, the secret of healthy eating is Mangel Worzels. Mashed Worzels twice a week with an egg on top throughout the winter months is wot you need oo arr Boy.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 10:52:02 »
Right O you young townie wippersnappers, the secret of healthy eating is Mangel Worzels. Mashed Worzels twice a week with an egg on top throughout the winter months is wot you need oo arr Boy.
In the words of the old Norfolk ditty: "get you orf moy mangel woooorzels, get you orf moy gate mate, or if you don't oi'll get moy gun and then you'll be too late mate!"
Keep Calm and Carry On

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 11:58:21 »
I think they should be looking a little more closely to the ready meals situation, I mean how much crap goes into them?? fats salt etc as well as all the beaks and assholes they cant sell in their shops hmm?

Give me good meat, veg, eggs, cheese etc and let me cook from scratch. I know exactly what I'm eating.

Cottage pie today with cauli, cabbage and carrots.....can't beat that can you!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 19:33:55 »
Give me good meat, veg, eggs, cheese etc and let me cook from scratch. I know exactly what I'm eating.

Hear hear  :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 09:34:41 »
I have to say that I've never really taken any notice of advice given on what to eat and what not to eat and in what quantities.  The only thing I tend to watch are things like pastry but other than that, it's a free for all as far as my grub's concerned!  ;D

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 10:36:20 »
Hi all! 

I am in total agreement with all that has been said.  I have not been as fit and well as since I have had my allotment and can choose what I eat 99% of the time. 

I have been aware of the eat less eggs brigade and really have not taken too much notice of it anyway.  I also have been reading lately about the fact that "processed meats" (ie. bacon) are meant to cause more cancers.

I am sure that eaten in moderation most foods have benefits and drawbacks!
having said that modern processed/supermarket foods are not on my menu nowadays!

Old Bird

;D

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 12:17:22 »
on the topic of Bacon.....

I get a couple of packs from the farm shop when I go there. I have noticed one thing with it, it stays the same size when you take it out from under the grill as it does when you put it in. Surely this means greater value for money even if it is a little more expencive. Cos its not full of water.

TRY IT ! 

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 12:27:42 »
on the topic of Bacon.....

I get a couple of packs from the farm shop when I go there. I have noticed one thing with it, it stays the same size when you take it out from under the grill as it does when you put it in. Surely this means greater value for money even if it is a little more expencive. Cos its not full of water.

TRY IT ! 

Been doing this for years.  Also pancetta - supermarket-bought (uk style) - full of water, not good taste;(Esselunga own brand) no water, tasty.

The same goes for salame.  We only eat Italian bacons etc that we have imported rather than buy from a UK super*****market
The Tuscan Beaneater

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal