Author Topic: Rats  (Read 2293 times)

vitaw

• Quarter Acre
Rats
« on: February 09, 2009, 22:41:28 »
Our plot shows evidence of rats--not actually seen but.... when removing lots of debris & huge pile of wood from previous holder, found beneath rather large holes in the earth.  I left the holes all exposed hoping that whatever was living in there would move out.    The plot behind has chickens--any connection there, do you think?
Also, the guy on the other half of our plot is a terrible 'housekeeper'...his idea of composting is just to pile up all his rotten cabbages & Brussels in a big bulging corrugated metal 'container', which is open topped; he has never worked it as a compost heap should be...what a stink when you enter through our common gate.  Have spoken with him & those in charge....nothing happens. Lots of griping and the season hasn't even started yet!  Any similar experiences or solutions to offer?  Thanks for any ideas.

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
Re: Rats
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 09:09:02 »
I am using boxes with "rat" size holes they have a baffel in them to stop things getting at the poisoned corn birds etc. My friend is a qualified pest controller so he made them for me. Be careful if you use the poison I was V worried about other things getting it. birds etc.

vitaw

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 10:57:32 »
Hey Flunky I like your kitty--what a motivator.  Thanks for the info re rat poison option.  I've been thinking about such a procedure, but with the chicken coop next door, would it be endless battle do you think? Would be interested to hear from chicken keepers on this matter-do you think you cause/contribute to the rat problem on allotments--just asking...hey, is that sunshine I see out there today...wow!

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 11:18:35 »
Hey Flunky I like your kitty--what a motivator.  Thanks for the info re rat poison option.  I've been thinking about such a procedure, but with the chicken coop next door, would it be endless battle do you think? Would be interested to hear from chicken keepers on this matter-do you think you cause/contribute to the rat problem on allotments--just asking...hey, is that sunshine I see out there today...wow!

I keep chickens. I make sure they have sufficient feed not an abundance and I have done everything I can to ensure there a no dark dank places for the little blighters to hide. i have used the mantra. I dont want them to stay. I do think they attract rats but then so does sweetcorn.

I keep my plot free from hidy holes where possible, the only one i have is under my shed and thats where the poison is. UNDER the shed in the box.

You are no more than 6 feet away from a rat at any one time. i am also in the country and in the cold spells they come in thier hundreds from the fields. by following my mantra I have less than most, if not none on my plot. I know this as I had no tracks in the snow where others did. A friend of mine on the plots catches about 3 per day. He has the exact opposite to me LOADS of hidy holes.

There must be something in it. Just do what you can and it goes without saying get advice on poision.

vitaw

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 13:26:59 »
Well done, Flunky; sounds like a very responsible position you're taking, wish my neighbour could learn to do the same. 
I too am trying to eliminate the hiding places by removing alot of junk and clutter left by the previous person on this plot.  There's lots of wood which we may need around the site, but I'd like to sort & stack it properly & position what's left in a manner which doesn't welcome varmints. I guess we'll have to load up the car (my husband will be thrilled) with the remaining detritus & take to the tip.  Why aren't vacating/evicted tenants required to clean up their mess before leaving? My next plan is to bait under my shed, too. Hopefully the rats won't die under there (suppose the effect isn't instantaneous, though) & they'll expire in an obvious position for clean up.  Hope your chickens have done well through the cold weather, Flunky! Ta for the input again!

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 14:05:41 »
Lots of rats on our site, have seen a couple and found a few holes. Was warned about them by a neighbour who suggested poison, but I am loath to do this as a cat lover. Keeping a family of cats onsite would probably be the ideal solution, but not for the bird life!

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 14:17:43 »
Lots of rats on our site, have seen a couple and found a few holes. Was warned about them by a neighbour who suggested poison, but I am loath to do this as a cat lover. Keeping a family of cats onsite would probably be the ideal solution, but not for the bird life!

Have a look at what mean by boxes, a cat would not be able to get at them as the hole is rat size. there is a baffle in there too to stop birds sticking the heads in and getting at the poisoned seed. Its is secured to stop it tipping over and srewed down to stop it coming open. I cant say its fool proof but I am confident I have done eveything i can. My the friend the pest controller who made them has said he uses the rats naturally curious nature a hole, shelter and food. :)

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 14:20:42 »
There's lots of wood which we may need around the site, but I'd like to sort & stack it properly & position what's left in a manner which doesn't welcome varmints.

Meant to put this in too. I also put down thick black plastic to stack the wood on. To stop weeds and also to stop things digging into the ground underneath the pile.

vitaw

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 15:22:39 »
I like the idea of black plastic under things; works wonders for solarising weeds, I know, but a good deterrent to determined diggers too! I'm going to see if the Allotment shop has some type of boxed rat poison bate for under my shed.  Now if I could just convince the knuckle-head who has 'shares' the double plot with me, to deal with his 'compost' creation---it just barely holds all his caterpillar/rotting brussels & cabbages, towers precariously over our shared gate & stinks to high-heaven--he doesn't do a thing with the 12'x12' open pit just keeps piling these rotting vegetations into it, year in, year out.  I'd like to throw a grenade into it.  I really am a peace-nik, despite my occasional outburst! Thanks for the opportunity to vent! 8)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 16:59:19 »
Rats are everywhere, the most we can do is limit the numbers. Use poison, fen traps or terriers, and do what you can.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 18:21:08 »
Thisis always the worst time of year for them,too- when it's cold they come nearer houses.One sauntered up the path in our back garden in broad daylight yesterday and started pecking at some seed on the ground.Went out and it didn't run away,just hid behind some pots.OH went out with a broom and succeeded in breaking the broom but the rat ran away- not for long,I'm sure.just hope they don't get in our attic again- the poison's still there from last year. >:(

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 13:30:14 »
Couldnt eating a poisoned rat make a cat ill?

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 13:39:48 »
I won't poison our Mrs R who uses our loft as a maternity ward.  I don't want corpses up there, nor do I want our cats to eat poisoned bodies.

I've driven her away by leaving the loft light on permanently and leaving a radio playing Radio 4 loudly up there.  Trouble is it's driven me to distraction too.

Ah well, can't have it both ways.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

The Tuscan Beaneater

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 15:42:51 »

I've driven her away by leaving the loft light on permanently and leaving a radio playing Radio 4 loudly up there.  Trouble is it's driven me to distraction too.

Turn off radio4 & take a Walk on the Wild Side with UB40 on a loop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS0fXQN6zrI

(or not.... :-[ ;D)

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 16:14:02 »
I won't poison our Mrs R who uses our loft as a maternity ward.  I don't want corpses up there, nor do I want our cats to eat poisoned bodies.

Ah well, can't have it both ways.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I like that asbean. Unless they are a health hazard, I think we should leave them alone. Where I live (Denmark) there are migratory buzzards that depend on rats for winter food. Let nature take its course I say.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal