Author Topic: Would love to grow these peppers but don't know the variety, any help appreciate  (Read 14020 times)

Mr Physio

• Not So New ...
Really love the preserved peppers that are found in the Kabab shops, does anyone know the variety and how to preserve them. Also the sweet soft chees stuffed pepers in ASDA are gorgeous does anyone know what variety these are also. Thanks in advance folks I know you'll have the answers ;)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
I don't know the varieties but I'm drooling already...  ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
I've just put on a couple of pounds thinking about them!!
You couldn't make it up!

littlebabybird

• Hectare
yummmm, now where is asda
lbb

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
The ones from the kebab shop are almost certainly jalapeño peppers preserved in brine, seeds are readily available & there are numerous ways to preseve them yourself.
There is no Asda around here so I am guessing but I suspect they are Peppadew™ Sweet Piquanté Peppers, if they are then you won't find seeds for sale but they do come up in seedswaps from time to time.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
thanks for the info baccyman, you do post some well informed replies!!  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Mr Physio

• Not So New ...
The ones from the kebab shop are almost certainly jalapeño peppers preserved in brine, seeds are readily available & there are numerous ways to preseve them yourself.
There is no Asda around here so I am guessing but I suspect they are Peppadew™ Sweet Piquanté Peppers, if they are then you won't find seeds for sale but they do come up in seedswaps from time to time.

Thanks for the reply, though I grew Jalapeno's last year and they looked nothing like the size of the kebab shops, peppadew sounds familiar. Out of interest why are they not avaliable?

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Peppers are easy to grow from the seeds inside any peppers you buy in the shops.

Not sadly pickled ones because the brine kills the seed.

So, next time you buy a pepper, just take out the seeds and put them on to kitchen paper and leave in a dish to dry out. Keep in an envelope until  you are ready to plant.

Orange peppers seem to be the sweetest.

Mr Physio

• Not So New ...
Peppers are easy to grow from the seeds inside any peppers you buy in the shops.

Not sadly pickled ones because the brine kills the seed.

So, next time you buy a pepper, just take out the seeds and put them on to kitchen paper and leave in a dish to dry out. Keep in an envelope until  you are ready to plant.

Orange peppers seem to be the sweetest.

[/quote

Thank you purpleheather but can you tell me. Are seed killed if the pepper is preserved in oil

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Peppadew International™ owns all growing rights to Peppadew™& has done since they were discovered in South Africa in 1994. Technically you can't even type the name of the fruit/pepper without acknowledging the trademark nor can you use the term in recipes - only the generic term Piquanté Pepper.

Seeds from peppers preseved in oil are often still viable, the germination rate is lower but many people have successfully grown them.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
Peppadew International™ owns all growing rights to Peppadew™& has done since they were discovered in South Africa in 1994. Technically you can't even type the name of the fruit/pepper without acknowledging the trademark nor can you use the term in recipes - only the generic term Piquanté Pepper.

so if someone had seeds would they be ok to save seed for omeone else?
lbb

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
As long as you are not selling the seeds or plants it's extremely unlikely the company would/could take any action against you. A lot of people who swap them refer to them as piquante peppers or cherry peppers remarkably similar in taste to peppadew™ other people deliberately misspell the name pepperdew so it is clear what they mean but they are not actually saying they are offering to swap trademark protected seeds.

AdrianH

• Not So New ...
My local kebab shop uses pickled/brined Hungarian Hot Wax chillis not Jalapenos. The Hot Waxes have a better ripe flavour than Jalapenos to my mind and are a doddle to grow.... in fact I have 3 plants on the go at the moment!

Mr Physio

• Not So New ...
As long as you are not selling the seeds or plants it's extremely unlikely the company would/could take any action against you. A lot of people who swap them refer to them as piquante peppers or cherry peppers remarkably similar in taste to peppadew™ other people deliberately misspell the name pepperdew so it is clear what they mean but they are not actually saying they are offering to swap trademark protected seeds.

So does anyone have any "pepperdew like" seeds they could part with for money or money's worth?

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Check your inbox.....................

Tricia

lewic

• Hectare
Do they need to be grown in a greenhouse?

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Ohh if anyone finds a source of these Pepperdue  ;) seed please let me know. Would love to try them  :D

Thanks
Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Lauren - check your inbox.

Cheers

Tricia

Smokin69

Id love to try these seeds as well if anyone had luck finding them. My fiancee is from South Africa an even she has yet to locate any of these for me. I have even tryed the seeds from the jared peppers with no luck :(
Thanks
Kevin

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Long time since I've been in a kebab shop: are the peppers pointy or round ended? If pointed then not Jalapeno, but plenty of other candidates. What size they are and how hot might help narrow it down.

The thing is there are plenty of commercially grown pepper varieties that never appear on the amateur seed market, at least not with the commercial name.

To give you an idea, check out this site http://www.enzazaden.com/Products/  - I came across it while trying to track down a miniature sweet pepper called Calimero which got a good RHS review. Found it was grown in South Africa but the nice chap there said the seeds came from Enza Zaden in Holland (and no, you can't buy them except in serious bulk :( ).

These chaps have just developed a sweet pepper that stays green when ripe! I suspect that's one that might get released to the public if it's not too hard to grow.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal