Author Topic: Good news  (Read 842 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Good news
« on: March 09, 2009, 14:50:44 »
The lady on the allotment next to mine said she would have to give it up this year due to not being able to walk too well (hip problem) and eye sight getting worse. We did have a laugh when she fell in the blackberries and I had to pull her up.  She used to cycle to the plot but can't do that anymore and obviously can't drive and comes by bus but finds it hard to read the numbers and cross the road. She is a lovely old lady and we had good chats but she was worried about the state her allotment was in, but she used to be a gardener and very knowledgable, knows where all her plants were.  I offered to help her but said it was no good if she kept worrying about it.  Anyway she has now decided to keep it for another year and was asking where I was (must have missed each other).  She had her friend and a young man up there helping her.  My OH has promised to help out but he is uncontrollable with his rotavator and his petrol mower.  We do cut her grass paths for her.  It quite cheered me up that I would have a nice neighbour for another year.  I am sure that if she really finds it too much, and now we have a waiting list, will give it up, but I think it will break her heart.  I try to help and cut things down but he is still quite capable of telling anyone off if they don't do it the correct way.  It must be very frustrating to get old and not able to do things as well as one would like.  We have a few 80 year old men that can still dig and are going strong.

Squash63

• Half Acre
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: Good news
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 15:11:44 »
What a shame for the lady, she must feel so sad not being able to do the things she wants to.

We had a similar situation last year on our site.  One of the men was getting worried about his plot and admitted to me that he was finding it hard to cope.  We had a lady on the waiting list who was desperate for a plot, but completely clueless about gardening.  I asked the man if he would like her to help him out and he agreed straight away.  It has worked really well.  He has taught her about digging, planting, weeds etc. so she is learnig through experience and he is getting much-needed help with his plot.  Eventually, she might take over his plot but hopefully that won't be for a few years yet.

I wrote about it in the February (I think it was February) edition of Kitchen Garden magazine.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham
www.growit.ik.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal