Author Topic: ONE LAST TRY!!!  (Read 6112 times)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
ONE LAST TRY!!!
« on: February 06, 2009, 01:18:52 »
Right two years running two years failings. tips needed to grow CELERY. I've got a self-blanching seed packet yes i know some scorn these but I'll try one more time with this lot of seeds and if i have at least a 25% success rate I'll try the one where I'll have to blanch them manually so to speak.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: ONE LAST TRY!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 08:11:37 »
Third time lucky ;D. How about splitting your seed into four piles (don't sneeze) and trying four different ways of sowing it. Seed in the ground, seed in trays,warm, seed in trays cold and seed on damp paper.

Then let the rest of us know how to be succesful.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 08:16:28 »
nah, its not possible, celery is a myth it doesnt grow

lbb

Mowhay

• Quarter Acre
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 08:20:17 »
I tried last year for the first time. I did not cover the seed just sprinkled it on the surface of damp compost and put into a propagator, most of it germinated. It was "Galaxy" and it was on the windowsill in the spare bedroom.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 08:22:47 »
I tried last year for the first time. I did not cover the seed just sprinkled it on the surface of damp compost and put into a propagator, most of it germinated. It was "Galaxy" and it was on the windowsill in the spare bedroom.
ok  it germinated but did you get celery at the end?

Mowhay

• Quarter Acre
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 08:26:48 »
I only grew it in containers but got about 12 plants which provided sticks of celery about the size of your fingers which my family said tasted good. They were ideal size for using with dips.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 08:32:19 »
ours germinated, grew quite big and was too strong to eat as it was, nice for soups and stews (golden self blanching), grown in a trench and kept wet..prefer to grow celeriac, at least we get a crop  ;D

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 09:55:01 »
nah, its not possible, celery is a myth it doesnt grow

lbb

;D ;D ;D

i,m starting to think so as well LLB ;)

the thing is germination has never been a problem and i don't think underwatering or feeding has been problems either.

the first year was brand new filled manured beds with a very wet 2007 summer plus me watering during the odd dry spell gave me huge plants but thin stringy stalks :-X  had lots leaves which i used to flavour stews and in sandwiches, etc right into spring of 2008 (the plants with the mild winter just kept producing fresh leaves and a couple of tender but short stalks).

last year again great 100% germination into healthy transplants which went into a bed which had homemade compost worked into the soil. again another wet summer with me filling in when the sun decided to make a show and all i got were plants that barely got to 8'' high very stringy thin stalks and very little leaf to even use as i did the year before and with a proper winter this time the plants were composted ages ago due to them being frosted so i really got nothing for my efforts last year :-X :-\ :(.

manicscousers you grew them in a trench was this to aid in them remaining moist?

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 11:12:41 »
A few years ago I tried a self blanching variety, in a raised bed, planted close together, loadsa manure etc etc.  They grew into huge healthy plants, but were stringy and inedible.

Last year and the year before I tried the earthing up type.  Followed instructions to a tee, both times I got stringy little plants, well attacked by slugs, snails and whatever else eats celery.  The bits that were edible were lovely, but they took too long to clean and pick off the "nasty" parts.

I'll try a block of self-blanching again this year, and a small trench of non-self-blanching again this year.  I WILL NOT BE BEATEN  >:( >:( >:( >:(   They germinate beautifully, grow into strong seedlings, they grow on well but ... ... ... the finished product is not acceptable.

Grrrrrr
The Tuscan Beaneater

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 11:17:04 »
A few years ago I tried a self blanching variety, in a raised bed, planted close together, loadsa manure etc etc.  They grew into huge healthy plants, but were stringy and inedible.

Last year and the year before I tried the earthing up type.  Followed instructions to a tee, both times I got stringy little plants, well attacked by slugs, snails and whatever else eats celery.  The bits that were edible were lovely, but they took too long to clean and pick off the "nasty" parts.

I'll try a block of self-blanching again this year, and a small trench of non-self-blanching again this year.  I WILL NOT BE BEATEN  >:( >:( >:( >:(   They germinate beautifully, grow into strong seedlings, they grow on well but ... ... ... the finished product is not acceptable.

Grrrrrr

i know exactly how you feel :'( come on celery experts give the advice that we need pleeaassee :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 11:19:40 »
After reading this thread I am glad I hate celery!! ;D

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 11:32:32 »
It's not something I go out of my way to eat, but it is SO useful in casseroles and the basis for everything, really.  It's just convenient to have it on hand rather than having to remember to buy it at the farmers' market.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 11:35:36 »
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 11:58:18 »
thanks Deb P for the link.

so far I've got

• grow in a trench
  • ensure the soil is very fertile, (as i have forgone manure this year because i can't find a reliable clean source, would lots of homemade compost do??
  • flood the trench with water every 3 - 4 days unless there was heavy rainfall
  • feed about once a month (would comfry & nettle tea be good enough. i will be collecting some seaweed over the next few weeks and plan to make some tea from that as well, so which will be better??)

anything else ???

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 12:13:46 »
Whether trenching or not, I think it is best to grow in blocks (i.,e, have the trenches close together) because exposure to sun makes the stalks prone to going stringy.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 12:23:59 »
thanks Deb P for the link.

so far I've got

• grow in a trench
  • ensure the soil is very fertile, (as i have forgone manure this year because i can't find a reliable clean source, would lots of homemade compost do??
  • flood the trench with water every 3 - 4 days unless there was heavy rainfall
  • feed about once a month (would comfry & nettle tea be good enough. i will be collecting some seaweed over the next few weeks and plan to make some tea from that as well, so which will be better??)

anything else ???

Whether trenching or not, I think it is best to grow in blocks (i.,e, have the trenches close together) because exposure to sun makes the stalks prone to going stringy.

• right in a block

but mine were in semi-shade last year :-\

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 12:37:35 »
They are meant to like a bit of shade but mine don't have a choice!

If all else fails grow some lovage  :)

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 13:12:45 »
They are meant to like a bit of shade but mine don't have a choice!

If all else fails grow some lovage  :)

yep well they will be in another semi shaded spot this year and if i dont get a decent crop thats it.

hmm lovage i'll have to research that one  :)

twins 59

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 13:52:50 »
 ::)Hi I am new to this site
my name is jackie and I live in essex
have just got my first allotment
and looking forward to chatting to you
about the allotment
bye

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 14:33:11 »
There is no great secret to growing Celery all they need is manure and water.
Prepare the ground by digging in well rotted manure, if this is not available buy some 6 X or organic manure and dig that in.
Grow it in blocks and keep the soil moist but not not sodden.
Celery grows from the heart outwards so remove the small side shoots regulary.
if you want longer plants then collar up two thirds of the plant.
it is very atractive to slugs so you will need to use slug pellets around the base of the plant.
if you want to grow extra large celery then i recomend Ideal.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal