Author Topic: Ridiculous Supermarket Policies  (Read 7728 times)

amphibian

Re: Ridiculous Supermarket Policies
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2009, 21:23:15 »
Amphibian, can you tell me more about the shop in Hastings "mostly luxury stuff at micro prices" ??? Its name and where it is?

I have no idea what it is called but it is on Queen's Road, heading out of town, opposite side of road from the shopping centre, just looks like a newsagent*

*this was years ago, dunno if it is still there.

amphibian

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2009, 21:25:47 »
there was a program on about people who just lived out of the food in the bin at supermarkets. I though yuck till i saw them bring out unopened crates of food !!!

They're called Freegans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freegans

vegmandan

• Half Acre
    • My Allotment Diary
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2009, 22:47:56 »
there was a program on about people who just lived out of the food in the bin at supermarkets. I though yuck till i saw them bring out unopened crates of food !!!

They're called Freegans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freegans

Trouble is these days it's illegal to remove stuff that people are going to throw away from their skip as I'ts classed as theft.

And there will be some "Big Brother" official or CCTV operator who'll no doubt feel it's his civic duty to report such an offence. ::)

Ridiculous I know !!!!! ::)

-------------------------------------------
I will grow a 10lb Onion if it kills me !
-------------------------------------------

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2009, 10:51:43 »
It's only illegal to steal from a skip! you are allowed to ASK for the stuff!! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2009, 13:11:10 »
ok, I'm not stiring just interested
if its in the bin/skip/whatever on its way to landfill just who are you stealing from?
lbb

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2009, 16:54:13 »
ok, I'm not stiring just interested
if its in the bin/skip/whatever on its way to landfill just who are you stealing from?
lbb
Rubbish in a bin is the property of whoevers bin it is once the rubbish is collected ownership is transferred to the company who operates the refuse collection service.
It is then taken to the local rubbish dump.
Any item left at the local rubbish dump becomes the property of the council (or whoever has a licence to run the site).

Any item left in a skip becomes the property of the skip hire company. If something is accidentally placed in there which shouldn't of been there is some scope for the original owner to claim a mistake and take property back. However, no third party can remove items from skips that do not belong to them and assume that this becomes their property in law as it would be an offence under the theft act 1968 a copy of which should be on http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2009, 17:21:49 »
thankyou Baccy Man

how about if 'it' is just kind of on the path/road?

lbb

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2009, 17:59:27 »
That would make it a lot harder to determine whose property it is but it would still be considered theft to take it. The general term applied would be "stealing by finding" although it is not specifically defined in the theft act 1968 the definitions of appropriates & theft given in that act make it clear you can't take something which is not yours even if you believe the owner no longer wants it. If you took somebodys rubbish without their permission you would not necessarily be dishonest but you would be a thief.

3. “Appropriates”.— (1) Any assumption by a person of the rights of an owner amounts to an appropriation, and this includes, where he has come by the property (innocently or not) without stealing it, any later assumption of a right to it by keeping or dealing with it as owner.

Basic definition of theft.— (1) A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.
(2) It is immaterial whether the appropriation is made with a view to gain, or is made for the thief’s own benefit.

There are of course exceptions, property found in a street can be handed in to a police station if it is not claimed within 28 days you may be able to claim it yourself unless it falls into one of the following categories.

The value of the property exceeds £50.00.

The property is dangerous, for example a weapon, ammunition or explosive.

The property is an official or personal document.

The property bears a clue to ownership.

You are under 18 years old

The property is suspected to be proceeds of crime

The property is a cheque, key, pawn ticket or an official or personal document.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2009, 19:22:00 »
I've always made a point of asking the builders before taking anything from a skip. Not only is this the polite British thing to do, it also gives the opportunity to find out what is likely to be put in later. Skips cost a lot of money so no one is likely to refuse you permission to take anything away.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2009, 21:12:56 »
I've always made a point of asking the builders before taking anything from a skip. Not only is this the polite British thing to do, it also gives the opportunity to find out what is likely to be put in later. Skips cost a lot of money so no one is likely to refuse you permission to take anything away.
Ditto from me !
also get wood from the local waste transfer station, after all , they've been paid to landfill it, so they glad you take it away!! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal