Author Topic: Bramley.  (Read 835 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Bramley.
« on: February 07, 2009, 17:36:41 »
Pear sorted. What about Bramley. There are several apple trees near our plot. Will they be OK to pollinate it. (If they've got any left). Has anyone grown a Cox's Orange Pippin. The info I have found says they are difficult to grow.
Janet.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Bramley.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 17:39:53 »
You could have asked earlier before I put the book away...  ::)
Bramley is a triploid so needs two pollinators... but as there are lots nearby you will probably be OK. I'd grow Fiesta rather than cox... and it will help fertilise the Bramley!  ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 17:48:02 »
Sorry. I was going to get COP because they have it at Lidl's. BTW were your potatoes dearer than they were going to be. Did you get  a ticket?
Janet.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 17:49:50 »
The "Ticket" hasn't landed yet, but may have been delayed by the weather... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I just got flashed and it wasn't loaded...

The spuds were 18p as expected...  ;D

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 19:56:30 »
I have a cox's in the back garden, £3.99 from Aldi....unfortunately I lost the label, and it's very much like Elstar (another I bought at the same time, 3 yrs ago).

If I have this right, it's not difficult to grow, but the Elstar has been more productive (or it could be the other way around... ;D). I also have a Granny Smiths (again, bought and planted at the same time - would actually be spring 2006)

I would say, don't be put off.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 21:15:27 »
Bramley only needs one pollinator, the second is needed to pollinate the pollinator, as triploids have no pollen. Presumably the trees around are fruiting, so go ahead, get one, and don't worry.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal