Author Topic: Strawberry planting  (Read 841 times)

Inky

• Quarter Acre
Strawberry planting
« on: February 07, 2009, 12:27:55 »
So the new allotment is well underway in terms of prep. All rotorvated and cleared and raised beds being put in at the mo. I will get on then and plant all my fruit tree/bushes as I know they need to go in during this dormant period.

But what about strawberries. Im planting 40 runner plants, should they go in now it seems very cold with all the snow and frost for such little plants? shouldI wait? Also Im going to put down the black plasit matting stuff for them and cover with straw, but Im guessing a gust of wind will blow the straw everywhere and blow up the matting, probably ripping out the plants with it. Is ther esome trick to doing this?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Strawberry planting
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 12:34:51 »
wait until this cold snap is over before planting them otherwise you'll get cold hands (and therefore too cold for little plants to get established) be advised that any covering of the soil between plants is a great home for slugs!! no need to put down straw yet, wait until flowering / fruit forming. straw, once it's been wetted, sticks together (starch / glue), so after teasing it out (technical term), water it with a rose on a watering can! ;) 
You couldn't make it up!

Inky

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 12:39:57 »
thanks for the tip. They are going in raised beds so if I slug pellet the area before covering then dot them around afterwards do you think that will be okay?

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 12:44:59 »
slug pellets contain an attractant!! you are better off encouraging birds in to the garden!
also, you can plant a few lettuces nearby, this helps as a distraction for the slugs.
You couldn't make it up!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 21:01:02 »
Just started thining mine out to grow on before planting them out when the whether breaks.
Just a few left to do LOL

[attachment=1]
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 21:06:47 »
you like strawberries, then davey?  ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

anything