Author Topic: snow  (Read 5748 times)

the-goodlife

• Quarter Acre
snow
« on: January 29, 2009, 17:02:16 »
get ready folks heavy snow is forcast for next week. yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee har!!!!
today i will be growin veg

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: snow
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 17:25:18 »
Doesn't sound like you've ever been caught in a snow storm on the open road at night?!?

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 10:17:20 »
Bring it on,the more the merrier,especially if it's too deep for me to get to work on Monday morning  ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:57:31 »
Doesn't sound like you've ever been caught in a snow storm on the open road at night?!?

No it doesn't.   Take blankets, flask of something hot and wellies...and a shovel!

My husband also takes a sleeping bag now having had two such experiences in the last few years, in one case he also got a flat tyre.

the-goodlife

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 11:47:21 »
now come on folks i use to do the snow ploughing for some years ,so yes i can understand your anger of getting caught!! not nice i know and yes i have been caught out!! when the wagon gets stuck!! one year i slid into a ditch and waited 3 hours till help got to me!!. The thing is the uk gets into a panic with one wrong snow flake or if it get to a depth of 5mm we panic, then you get the idots who drive at 60mph still thinking the roads are fine!! we use to get some good snowfall years ago as per my nan the 50s were bad they had cars with no heating no gritters etc. i can remember my dad getting caught back in the 1983 i think?from work car broke down 5 miles from home and he walked in a blizzerd and a -20 wind chill.
so to all the big kids out there like me BRING IT ON LETS HAVE IT DEEP AND HAVE A SNOWFALL WE USE TO GET!!! ;D

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 11:53:48 »
Yes I think every one gets in a tizzy over snow.  I remember getting up early, wellies etc. on and walking to work in snow.  I knew the buses were not likely to be running.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 18:51:45 »
the year before last we had a couple of inches of snow...
I'd gone into Reading to get some stuff and was on my way home again..
Now the majority of the roads were clear but there was a stretch of the A329 that was still covered... I'd noted this on the way in.
As I accelerated slowly up the slip road and onto the 329 a prat in a Porsche 911 roared past me, where upon he encounted the snow patch in the outside lane...
I'd slowed down noting what was going to happen.. as he crawled back into the clearer inside lane I put my foot down pulled out in the fresh snow and shot past him

But then I do drive a Landrover  ;D
Sometimes driving a permanent 4x4 tank has its advantages

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 10:57:39 »
Take blankets, flask of something hot and wellies...and a shovel!

That's exactly what I take to the allotment every time I go... Summer or winter.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 19:03:19 »
I remember one week in the winter of 1978-9, when there were thirty-foot drifts in the Highlands, and people had suffocated in their cars. I was climbing in the Central Highlands that weekend, and by the time we got there, despite drifts twice the height of the local buses, local farmers had cleared the roads and everyone was carrying on as normal.

It snowed steadily all day today, we've got about two inches right now. A lot of schools have been closed here, and Social Workers were sent home at 2.30.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 19:05:24 by Robert_Brenchley »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 19:14:22 »
Meriden village green

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 19:16:31 »
Meriden

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 19:19:49 »
Marks the centre stone of England

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 19:21:54 »
Now here is a snowy memory;

I suppose you will all recognise the school crossing sign of the two children walking hand in hand.

Well picture this;  in 1947 when walking to school the snow was so deep the snow came up to the feet of those two children and it appeared as if they were walking though a few inches of snow, when in fact the snow was excess of six foot deep at that point.

Plus I recall walking to school where on level ground the snow was up to my arm pits, and falling into a snow drift that completly engulfed me, that was bl** dy frightening I'll tell you!!

OK that was an exceptional year and I can't recall anything else like it since.

Yes there have been some years where we had extensive falls of snow but never like that.

So when I see what a few millimetres can do today it makes it all the more amazing how we coped that year.

Ah! the memories when I was just but a lad!!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 19:23:39 by Tee Gee »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 19:26:45 »
Yes TG some of our higher farms were isolated for three months that winter...  :o

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 19:50:13 »
And in the 60's -

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 19:53:39 »
1962-3 was a very cold winter that lasted until March. I moved from Norwich to Newcastle on Tyne in 1962 and it felt like moving to the Arctic.  It was so cold that it hurt, but it really was exceptional.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 15:18:17 »
That winter, my father took me and my sister sledging in the local park. they had long trousers, but I only had my school shorts. You're d**n right it hurt!

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 16:42:51 »
Remember the '47 winter well. Walking to school on the top of the snow that was cleared from the pavements. I believe that a by-law was passed that one had to clear the snow so that people could get about.
Where I live now, in '47, people walked 15 mls. to work & weren't late!
A few centimetres now & the whole world grinds to a halt. Nanny State!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 17:31:41 »
I remember '47 as well - winter went on forever.

And in '63 I was at College. We were miles from nowhere sleeping in wooden huts originally put up to house workers at Bletchley Park. We had no electricity, no water - hot or cold - and no heating. And we were on teaching practice, except the coaches couldn't get up the lanes, so we had a two-mile walk first. (We washed, shaved & cleaned our teeth when we arrived at school!)

And that Easter we went drove down to a mate's in Devon (Don't ask - you do daft things like that when you're 19!) and when we arrived in - I think it was Bovey Tracey - we were the first outsiders they'd seen since Christmas!

And one morning in the '70s, staying with my in-laws in rural Wiltshire over the New Year, I opened the back door to meet a wall of snow covering the entire bottom storey. The water was off, the electricity was off, the phone was off, the gas was off....

And in '81, the entire school arrived one morning, but only three staff!!!

Personally, I can cope without too many more "snow events".

the-goodlife

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 17:56:23 »
i want more!!!! we were lucky last night we missed it all snow turned to sleet. forcast predicted 30cm here!!!! (wrong) :(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal