Author Topic: snow  (Read 5747 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: snow
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 18:50:07 »
We were promised another 300mm (1 foot) last night got about 75-100mm (3"-4")

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 18:58:55 »

Love your ' pic ' Tee Gee,

Now in 1947 I was 5 yrs, but I do remember my Mother left me with an Aunt while
  she went shopping without me, I cried and wanted to know why I couldn't plough through
 the  5 ft snow with her. !   

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 19:21:27 »
It was melting a little in Birminham today. Doesn't mean it hasn't been freezing outside the city though. We've been promised more heavy snow on the way.

There were a few bees flying from one of my hives today, mostly landing in the snow and freezing to death. It's not a good characteristic in our climate, and I'll be requeening that one next summer!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 19:47:48 »
no snow here anymore just sheet ice :)
Going out with rubbish later so lets hope they come to collect tomorrow !

the-goodlife

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 11:07:38 »
hope ive heard right ,we are expecting another 10ins or so next week at some point??? :)
today i will be growin veg

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2009, 12:47:20 »
Like Tee Gee we woke up to another 3-4"... but more promised for the weekend. We've got the main roads almost clear now...  :)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 16:36:44 »
We have about a foot in places here. The roads are clear today, after the M1 was reduced to one lane yesterday.

I rang the council this morning to hear a recording saying that the offices were closed due bad weather. Hopefully we will be open on Monday!! ::)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 17:11:25 »
walked to the shops today and got milk, fresh bread and all i need for a few days so i dont have to go out i have the heating on during the day and all the housework is done bar changing the sheets on the bed tomorrow. I have even dug out my party flask which holds enough water for 4 cups of tea so i dont have to keep boiling the kettle and if we lose the power i have hot water bottle :)

News on the allotments is that its burried under 6 inches of snow which should insulate it against the -9 frosts on there way.

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 21:09:19 »
dont forget to knock the snow of your fruit cages before the weight takes them down !!
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2009, 22:15:07 »
Flossy, I was 4 years old in 1947, in West Sussex, and clearly remember snow falling into my wellington boots whenever I left the house. I have my mother's diary of that winter, full of her efforts to keep me and my younger sister warm, when electricity, fuel of any sort, was intermittent (she was 23 years old).

Of course, I also remember the 3 day weeks of the early 70s, when I myself had 3 very little children, no heating, no cooking, we just had to use our initiatives to keep everyone safe in the cold, including a baby who needed warm milk. Several miles from the nearest village.

I am so grateful now to live in the centre of a village with regular deliveries of food from gigantic lorries.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2009, 22:21:29 »
I remember the three day week too, but not 62-3 or 47... but I know they were terrible by current standards.  :-X

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2009, 00:46:24 »
Just got back from the pub -4 outside, it was -7 last night.

Very icy underfoot and still 3 or 4 inches of snow which has now frozen into sheet ice!!

More snow is forcast tomorrow :)

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2009, 08:10:56 »
 Nice and crunchy outside. Snow still 4 inches deep and the sky looks as though its  about to dump another layer of snow.   :-* :-*

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2009, 10:14:11 »
Ours is all gone now, just the resembelance of a snowman in the back garden that is now a pile ice.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2009, 10:40:44 »
Up to midnight Metcheck was promising another 3-4" for the midlands starting just after lunch today... and again Monday night...  :-X

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2009, 11:04:04 »

I was 7 tears old in 63 and had to hold the bags ( old coconut bags ) open for my Dad to drop cabbage into it was freezing like hell ... them days you did not have long trousers until you went to High School ( 11 years old )  so had short trousers and a pair of wellies.  This was at weekends only as Schools never closed in bad weather.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2009, 11:06:17 »
I was 18mths... but at 800' up in the Pennines I bet it was hell, no central heating and double glazing then...  :-X

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2009, 21:16:14 »
LIVED IN A DOUBLE WALLED CARDBOARD BOX,LUXURY!!
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2009, 22:27:15 »
doiuble walled cardboard box? bl**dy LUXURY!!, we had to live in a paper bag!! ;D
You couldn't make it up!

ellie2cats

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2009, 15:08:48 »
Around 1955 my husband and I were living at RAF Wattishma in Suffolk. Went to the pictures in Ipswich ( By bus) and when we came out 3 hours later were amazed to see about 2 inches of snow.  However the busses were running and we returned to camp (Nearly) about 5 miles short and could go no further as the drifts were over a foot high.  A local farmer, Bless him came along with his tractor and transported us back to camp.  Health & Safety ?? I think not, we were standing on the back axle ( or sort of) but we we home and dry.  It was an adventure only eclipsed by 62/63 but that is another story.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal