Author Topic: Planting plans for next year  (Read 5624 times)

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
Planting plans for next year
« on: September 02, 2004, 17:55:36 »
just wondering guys and gals what people do planning wise?
do you draw up a bed scheme or just plant stuff where it falls?
i am hoping to do a rough drawing of where i need to put stuff but i was thinking that some of you may have very detailed planting plans with measurements and stuff to  help you? is there a special technique?

Jem x

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Re:Planting plans for next year
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 18:22:48 »
Hi gardner,I prefer to draw up a fairly detailed cropping area plan,without one I forget to sow things,also it makes for easier crop rotation plans(important).When you own a comp,It's easypeasy :D.....Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 18:31:13 »
No permanent plan.  I know where my onions, spuds and brassicas will be going, oh, and the beans as they are permanent, then other things just have to fit in accordingly, wherever I have room at the ready really.

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 19:21:05 »
hi,
i do a basic crop rotation over 3 years, but a detailed plan of when to plant and sow. I've not been growing veggies for more than 3 years, but the first year I kind of made one sowing-and that was it, so it was ready all at once with nothing to follow on. Last winter I got myself organised and with the help of my computer whizz other half did a spreadsheet of staggered sowing and growing times, and planned the crops so that when one finished the other could follow on.
particularly pleased with how this worked for the beans and salads, some of the other crops seemed to 'catch up' the earlier sowings though. I find also that I don't forget what seeds I've got if they're written down!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 23:01:34 »
Fraid I just bung it in where I can! ;D But I do manage to rotate stuff as I plant in small blocks and remember where it all was the previous year!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 09:26:53 »
Jem

I have have the same problem, but have found some ace books with planning advice. They are at home so I will have to look up the names etc but also look on the link entitled 'the bible' cant remember which heading its under but that should give you some ideas.

I think for our first year its going to be alot of hit and miss and annoying these guys  ;)

Sam

"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

GardnerJ

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2004, 09:29:44 »
Yeah pixie i know what you mean this site is great for advice, a godsend really! I have drawn up a detailed plan now on the PC which runs from spring to winter so i know what i have to plant and when but i haven't got round to doing a plan yet as i view my plot on sunday! i can't wait, i was up at 1am thinking about it!

Pixie

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2004, 10:20:49 »
Complete godsend Jem  ;D I love A4A

Good luck with your plot on Sunday. I know what you mean about the late nights, my lover is getting quite knowledgeable about veg because he keeps finding books every where - the lounge - the kitchen - the bedroom - the loo etc and when I was doing my plan he even reminded me that marigolds planted near toms are a good thing because he had been reading my companion gardening book!

Sam

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 10:29:05 »
Not much of a plan here. My veg bed is 50cm x four meters, so there's not much to plan really! I did have a plan for this year, but it all went out the window when my snips failed to do anything. I have a rough idea for next year, but it mostly involves not planting things in certain places as they went there this year. And next year I'm doign a major extension on the veg patch, so I don't even know how much room I will have.
gone to pot :D

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 14:21:11 »
Hi all :D,
            Now that I have dug all my plot (only got it in April ) I will have 14, 10 foot by 4 foot beds, ;D So I have tried to plan what goes where for next year. Otherwise i shall forget when it comes to crop rotation the year after. Problem is i have just ordered some autumn planting onions that were not in the original plan  ::) so i guess I shall have to start  the plan all over again. ::)

Adrian.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2004, 14:46:19 »
Thats the trouble I found with having a plan, I always found something else that needed to go in, thats why I don't have one! ;D

Peter H

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2004, 15:09:23 »
I do a rotation crop plan and a planting plan with dates type of seed and how well they do. I've got diaries going back 10 years, the problem is the wife usually tidies up and tries to throw them out.

Peter

Pixie

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2004, 16:27:20 »
Peter - how organised are you! I aim to keep a diary, any suggestions on how best to lay it out?

Sam

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2004, 16:41:38 »
Peter where you been?

GardnerJ

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2004, 16:53:34 »
i am keeping a diary aswell! i am reading a gardening yearbook the name of the author has slipped my mind but it has inspired me to do the same! it is good to look back on when things were planted and how well they did etc.
i guess i will just have to wait to see my plot before i can plan where everything will go! i would like 10 poles but the old boys have said to start with half? i have such big plans i really do want a whole plot!
i will tell all on monday (when back at work!) as to what happened!

Pixie

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2004, 17:44:19 »
Can't wait Jem  ;D

Peter H

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2004, 08:36:03 »
Hi sam, what i do is make a drawing of the allotment with the raised beds and greenhouses. I number the beds 1 to 10 and the greenhouses 1 to 3.
On the other page I put      Bed 1- potatos, 'kestrel' planted
                                      April, harvested August.

and so on till i have completed all the beds and greenhouses. I also have a foot note at the botom of the page to say if everything was ok.

Hi D-P, well i've been a busy lad (as usual) so i haven't been able to get on this site as much as i want to. I've been in the garage trying out new things  ;)  my latest project was to build a fire-gun for the weeds, unfortunately it back fired (literally) so i'm sitting here with no eye lashes, eye brows and some hair  ;D ;D, luckily there ws no damage to my brain so i'll continue on till i get it right hahahaha. Note to self get fire proof clothing  ;) .

Peter      

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2004, 10:54:14 »
I start a diary each year -generally doesn't make it through May, Samuel Pepys I ain't  ???

Jeremy
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 10:55:23 by derbex »

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2004, 12:28:44 »
I started a diary, but it has well,.... by June/July. I also wanted to weigh the harvest, but that doesn't seem to have happened (apart from my near on 5lb cauli, and the first earlies).
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2004, 13:33:52 »
I started a diary this year, went really well until about March/April when I was too busy in the garden to actually have time to complete it anymore.

Or at least that's my excuse. I think I was all enthusiastic about it to begin with as there wasn't much gardening to do, so my gardening enthusiasm went into it. When there was lots to do in the garden, I suddenly couldn't be bothered anymore.

But I've learnt this year that it really would've been useful, so next year I vow to do it properly!
gone to pot :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal