Author Topic: COURGETTES  (Read 1953 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
COURGETTES
« on: January 29, 2009, 17:15:45 »
 I need some good advice on the best way to grow courgettes please.
I grew them last year & i was useless, no idea what i did wrong just a waste of time, & watering everyday.  :'( :'(     Thank you .

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
Re: COURGETTES
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 17:28:44 »
hi rosebud,

plant out in fertile soil (freshly manured beds/ dig a nice size hole and add some homemade compost/ create a compost pit early march) in a sunny location.

i only watered during prolonged dry spells IE 4 plus days without heavy rain but some people don't (but then i have raised beds).

when you plant out the plant bury a up turned water bottle or simply a medium size pot in the soil next to the root ball and water into that, this stops the stem from remaining wet and developing rot.

i also read that removal of the early male flowers till female flowers begin to appear helps. i did this last year with success but I'm sure others don't with equal success but it gives me a reason to eat fried courgette flowers for breakfast ;D.

hopes this helps.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 17:31:57 »
What did you do that didn't work?

I sow one seed per 2-inch pot in early/mid-April; pot on into 4-inch pots when needed; plant out in May. I dig plenty of muck into the soil during the autumn/winter and water them every day until they're established. Then water 2 or 3 times a week, according to how the weather goes. That's it. A bit of weeding from time to time. And keep picking, or you end up with a few marrows and the plant thinks it's finished for the year!

They grow like weeds!!!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 17:35:48 »
I have never had a problem with courgettes ,they are one of the easiest to grow,however mine took ages to get going last year,the weather was very bad,when I look back at my allotment diary it was rain,rain rain.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 17:39:56 »
I have never had a problem with courgettes ,they are one of the easiest to grow,however mine took ages to get going last year,the weather was very bad,when I look back at my allotment diary it was rain,rain rain.

yes last year was a bit tough i have to agree, with a warm May they went out the last week and then the cold returned early June but once they got going there was no stopping them :-X ;).

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 20:32:52 »
i build a mound of compost & soil plant on top and put a moat round .and then fill moat wiv water

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 22:56:41 »
I tried protecting the young plants with car tyres last season. We had some pretty cold weather and high winds up here in North Wales but they survived well. The tyres also help to supress the weeds. It looks a bit strange but it did the job.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 23:03:20 »
 Thank you for your replies, i have taken notice  of some of your advice. i think i shall have more success this year i shall let you know. ;D

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 23:40:55 »
I also put my manure on top of shredded paper in the planting hole, helps to hold onto some moisture.
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Chrissie

• Half Acre
  • My cutting patch
    • RSPB Shropshire Local Group - Southern branch
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 17:12:53 »
Hi Rosebud,

I can highly recommend "Cavili" from T & M - it's a self-fertile variety so you don't need to worry about pollination at all; just let them get on with it.  The fruits are pale green with a creamier texture than usual. Last year I got so many from five plants the neighbours started pretending they were out when they saw me coming with a bag in my hand... ;D  Not really, I think they were appreciated! This year I'll just grow a couple of plants.

If you follow all the earlier advice I'm sure you'll get a good crop. Good luck!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 22:25:00 »
Thanks for that Chrissie, i am waiting for a T&M catalogue.

KC

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 08:45:02 »
watering everyday

If I had to bet I'd say that might be your mistake. I'm fortunate enough to grow bumper crops, and have one 3 foot long Uber courgette on my desk today that I harvested last August - darn things bulletproof!

I put em in as soon as the third leaf is established (usually dig a hole at least 1 spt deep and fill with well rotted manure/compost), cloche em with a bell or bottle cloche immediately (gets the roots established and keeps the slugs off). Soon as the cloche is removed a good few slug pellets helps em establish then water about once a fortnight. If its hot, make sure you ONLY water at the base, the leaves scorch really easily. Diluted seaweed fertiliser every now and then helps too, but dont over do it.

They're a popular crop for me as I have a terrible time with rabbits and they're one of the few crops that survive the furry swine.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 08:52:51 »
hiya, KC..nice to have you on board  ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 09:34:25 »
The main mistake I've made with courgettes in the past is sowing too early. Last yearI didn't sow until May 10th and planted out a month later and hada great crop.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 09:52:59 »
Apparently there's a national shortage of courgettes at the moment.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 10:03:38 »
 Welcome KC, & thank you for your information, i am expecting a bumper crop with all the advice i can`t wait. ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal