Author Topic: does anyone know anything about damp proof courses?  (Read 5860 times)

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
Re: does anyone know anything about damp proof courses?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 09:55:56 »
I knew if I asked on here I'd get loads of really helpful replies and advice, thanks again!
well, the good news is that the nice man from the council who sees the same problem every day said it was absolutely definitely a condensation problem, and on a scale of 1 to 10 ours was about a 2 :o (really feel for people who rate above a 2!!!) he tested all the walls with a damp meter: normal reading (150) on ALL the walls at top and bottom, which is a relief, so no need to dig up the floors and replaster - PHEW!
so OH and I spent the weekend cutting off the edges of the carpet and pulling up underlay in both bedrooms, chiselling off the original floor tiles, stripping wallpaper, and sugar-soaping everywhere. exhausted but clean and, more importantly, dry :) new regime of obsessively opening windows has already started ;D
the plan is to raise the temperature of the floor by bonding a layer of insulating material to it - council man couldn't remember the name of it - or laying a new insulating layer of screed, then a laminate floor NOT carpet.
thanks again for all the helpful info :)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 10:21:13 »
Great news, don't forget to claim for the carpets and anything else on your insurance (if it covers it).
When you lay the laminate floor, make sure the end you have the problem with is the last place to be done, at least that way you don't have to pull the whole floor up if it happens again.

Sorry if the above is obvious :P

Neil

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 20:21:52 »
don't forget to heat AND ventilate the room.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 09:43:45 »
thanks both! the council has the building insurance but we may be able to claim. really good point about laying the laminate, I'll remember that :)
the room has always been heated, if the central heating is on, then the radiator in that room is on - it's never turned off. but we have started opening the window so hopefully that will make a difference.

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 11:07:04 »
Its not about keeping it warm. The warmer the air is the more moisture it can hold. As soon as warm MOIST air comes into contact with a cold surface it will release the water (see Dew Point) and cause condensation.

The key to it is to have a balance between hot and cold in conjunction with adequate ventilation.

With the laminate flooring the fabric between the new floor and the old one will aid in keeping the surface of the floor warmer (for want of a better word lol)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal