Author Topic: Jiffy 7 pellets  (Read 1009 times)

JayGee

• Not So New ...
Jiffy 7 pellets
« on: January 20, 2009, 12:34:33 »
I havent used jiffy pellets before.  Can anyone tell me how to do this.  From various sites I've read that you soak them in water for about 5 mins, squeeze to release water and create air, put a small hole in, drop in your seed and gently cover.  However, what do you do when your seeds start to grow?  Do you water the pellets (if so - is it the same as you would a seed in a pot or is it from the bottom?).  What do you do when your seed starts to grow and you would normally pot on?  Brassicas especially are fairly quick to grow and can become very top heavy (normal procedure being to pot them on up to their first set of leaves).  Any help appreciated.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
Re: Jiffy 7 pellets
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 12:59:08 »
Jaygee I'm no expert but I use these pellets a lot. 
I always soak in warm water and leave to drain, usually overnight but I find a couple of hours OK.
I never squeeze, but will use  a tooth pick/pencil to loosen  space around dibbled hole.
Sow seed and cover with vermiculite.
I like to place on capillary matting so pellet takes up water as needed.
Cover until germinated, depending on seed whether placing in propergator.
When ready to pot on I find it best to remove outer mesh.
Pellets are expensive but This works well for me, interested to hear others views.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 14:05:38 »
we do the same, susie, warm water, leave to drain, I use a small dibber to put a hole in, cover the seed, thing is, as I have mobility probs, when the plant needs moving on, I put the whole pellet into a pot or 6 pack or, in the case of brassicas, into a fibre pot..this makes it easier for me to plant them, pot and all  :)

JayGee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 15:05:22 »
Thank you very much.  If you dont have capillary matting what's the best way of watering?

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 16:01:52 »
how about an old damp bath towel under them with the end of it in a container of water.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal