Author Topic: Tillers  (Read 1931 times)

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
Tillers
« on: January 18, 2009, 16:12:39 »
Last season I was struggling to get a reasonably fine soil for planting so have decided to get and use a petrol tiller this year. I haven't hundreds to spend and have found 2 that interest me. I wondered if anyone here had had any experience of either of these. Einhell Royal BMH 33/36 it's a 4 stroke 4.5 HP petrol tiller £174 and Ryobi Expand-it Tiller this is an attachment that goes with the Ryobi Trimmer bought together £145 the motor that works this is I think 1.5 HP Any advice would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks TEYman

Moonbeam65

• Half Acre
Re: Tillers
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 19:23:31 »
I use a mantis which i bought second hand on ebay about 4 years ago for £85 it does the job for me i have looked at the ryobi but do not think it would be a great success,more  engine to small and if you hit to many stones or use it on virgin ground i think the drive would break.if i was to make a choice of the two you mentioned it would be the four stroke it is more powerful and would do the job better. hope this helps. 

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 20:21:29 »
Thanks for your input Moonbeam65

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 17:58:00 »
I have seen and used a tiller with a very similar if not identical design to the Einhall you mention .To my mind the weight ratio is not good as they seem to bounce about a lot and vibrate rather bad. I think they recommend it  for previously turned over soil. Which I find surprising with a 4.5 horse powered machine .. Personally I would only go for a machine with a Briggs and stratton or Honda engine fitted .. Here's one I have seen used which seems to be a beefy little machine well up to the job .
Ok its slightly more expensive but should  last you a good while and engine parts are widely available should you need any in years to come.. 
http://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/MOWERLAND_Hobby_300_Tiller_.html

Cheers .. Jim

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 22:05:23 »
I have a Mantis Electric and a Wolsley Webb Merry Tiller.
see:- http://erowell.co.uk/Gardening/Tillers.html
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 16:47:38 »
T.E.Y.,
There are a few on e-bay now for approx. £150. You will need to collect.
Go for 4hp minimum, B&S or Honda are strong engines & very easy to maintain.
Good luck!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 17:47:38 »
My mate has the Ryobi tiller. Its not that good. A bit wimpy. It is fine for small areas that have been dug over. I am going to "borrow" it to do my bed areas. They have been dug over loads and are quite small areas. I have a 7hp rotivator with a briggs and stratton engine. Its bullet proof. lol.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 18:47:19 »
Rotovate, Cultivate or Titivate? That is the question!

Forgetting price, I would wholly agree with 4+HP for the real thing. But make sure it is easily wheelable to & from the plot. Swinging handlebars are a huge advantage - if you can get them.

For maintaining in-use soil, the Honda FG 201 is fine. Until last year, I could carry it from here to there.

The bottom line is the Mantis - had both petrol & electric.

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 14:14:01 »
Hi, I have what is called a badger with a 6.5 hp briggs engine what I got several years ago from mowers-online. This cost me 399.00 but it goes through everything, even if this soil is rock hard as mine was, bit expensive but worth its weight in gold.

good gardening

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 10:21:42 »
I bought my partner a Mantis for Christmas and when we read the instructions it said the tines should be one way for tilling and the other for cultivating. What is the difference between tilling and cultivating. I would have thought them both the same. I know you good gardeners will think I'm thick but please help.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 11:14:46 »
Tilling is having the pointed ends of the mantis tines away from you . The mantis then  digs shallower and digs when your walking forward . I use my mantis like this for around fruit trees or scuffing up weeds.
Cultivating is having the points of your tines pointing towards you so they bite  in  when your pulling the mantis back towards you, you apply more pressure on the tines when pulling it back than what you can do than when its running forward so it digs deeper. I don't think I explained this too well .So hope you understand. :)  Or can anyone on here explain it better.
Cheers .. Jim

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 16:19:29 »
Hi Jim.

Yes, see my previous link. AFAIK the Mantis is the only machine which works in this way. A very light, easy machine for pensioners.  I shall be 80 in March and can carry it in one hand, it weighs 20Kg (the airline luggage allowance).
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 20:34:19 »
Well, I eventually went for a Mowerland 3.5hp tiller bought from ebay and looking forward to taking delivery this week. Plot's under water at the mo so no chance jof trying it out for some time! Thanks all for your input. Regards TEYman

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal