Author Topic: Have sevilles  (Read 9192 times)

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
Re: Have sevilles
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 21:20:40 »
Which farm shop did you get them from Emma, as have not seen them in supermarkets

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 22:13:25 »
I got mine in Waitrose. Just made first ever batch today - made it for OH and to give to others as I dont like marmalade, but....it tastes lovely!
Tomorrow I am going to do as Emma Jane said and make some mixed citrus marmalade too. It does take a long time though to chop all the skins thinly - any tips from anyone?

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 07:59:10 »
Just choose a day when there's something decent to listen to on the radio!

Or enlist a helper?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 23:21:18 »
.... It does take a long time though to chop all the skins thinly - any tips from anyone?

I know everyone has their own ways with marmalade, I found skins a problem too. The way marmalade is approached here is as follows:
Oranges peeled first, peel cooked separately, usually in a pressure cooker but can just be simmered for ages.
Peel is cooked until it is so soft that you can take a piece and squish it to nothing easily between thumb and finger. Peel is drained off and cooled, then compressed into a lump and sliced quickly with a sharp knife.
Meantime oranges have been simmering away in just enough water to cover them in a large pan with lid on or have been cooked in a pressure cooker, and are soft enough to break up when stirred.
The orange mixture at this stage contains the pips, so it's strained off and roughly pushed through coarse sieves to extract as much of the fruit as possible.
The pip-free sieved orange and the peel are added together in a large thick bottomed open pan, the sugar is added and dissolved and the mix is heated gently and kept at a low heat until the peel is transparent. Then temperature is increased to 104.5 and held for around 5 minutes.
Hope this helps.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 20:35:17 »
I am so glad to see that there are other marmalade nuts like me.  Last year was the first time I made my own seville marmalade as I could never quite find the one I liked in the stores. 

I got all jittery mid January when I had not yet seen any down here but the worst is over now (phew), as I found them at my local farm shop last week - I ended up  buying 4kgs seville oranges.  I'm sure I had a mad glint in my eye when an elderly lady walked up whilst I was making my selection and she backed off a bit.  But she did tell me that these were cheap at 1.20 pound per kg as Wait.... were selling them for 2.40 per kg.

I made my marmalade last Wednesday and Thursday night and made mine half way i.e. finished boiling whole organes, cutting and hollowing out and then left pulp draining into main pot.  THen Thursday night after work popped in the sugar and stood anxiously testing its readiness for about half an hour before it reached the required consistency. 

Got about 18 bottles (various sizes), out of it. I have already handed out half a dozen bottles.  Note to myself - if you keep giving it away you will run out again by beginning of December and have nasty side effects again...  I think that once bottled it looks like bottled sunshine - so cheerful on these grey winter days.

Mmhh wonder if I can smuggle in another couple of kgs as I want to try Sarah Raven's seville icecream....

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 18:55:01 »
Sarah's - or Nigella's??

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 21:07:09 »
seville icecrean, that sounds awsome, do you have a recipe?
thankyou
lbb

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 18:41:43 »
Had forgotten it was seville marmalade-making time. . . must get some!!

Love the stuff  :P

tim

• Hectare

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 14:13:43 »
Tim thankyou
are you up early or late? are you ok?

i think icecream is on tonihts menu
lbb

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 18:00:46 »
tim,   or Jitterbug  or jennym or anyone who knows realy

my peel is all floating at the top of the jars  :'( what did i do wrong?
lbb

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 19:50:11 »
If we're talking about Marmalade - you didn't cool & stir before bottling??

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 20:49:41 »
you didn't cool & stir before bottling??

thankyou tim
yes that will be it.

ok next time cool it, how much?

lbb

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2009, 22:01:05 »
First of all thanks to everyone who posted the marmalade recipes which involve cooking the fruit whole and then chopping the peel - I did the last batch that way and it was so much easier :D
But when I put it into the jars I noticed some very small white bits, which I worked out came from the lemon which I had cooked whole in with the sevilles. The lemon was fresh, but the both the lemon pulp and rind has these tiny white dots over it when it was cooked.
I know it sounds a bit weird and it is very difficult to describe - has this ever happened to anyone else? Should I have just put the juice of the lemon in and not the whole thing?
The marmalade tastes great, by the way!

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2009, 22:14:43 »
Never mind lbb, your marmalade will still taste luvverly, I'm sure.
But next time, you need to leave the marmalade in the jam pan for about 15 mins, then stir and jar it up. The brew's still plenty hot enough at that stage to 'pop down' the vacuum buttons on jar lids if you're using that kind.

And Tin Shed, my recipe uses only the juice of the lemon, not the whole thing. *waits with interest to see what other marmaladers' methods are*

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2009, 07:27:04 »
Oh, whole Lemon. Adds a bit of freshness. And that's what I go for - only adding the peel when you have reached setting point, not boiling it to death!

lbb - yes, fine thanks - just getting a cup of tea.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 07:28:45 by tim »

timnsal

• Half Acre
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2009, 10:07:46 »
LBB, I forgot to stir mine as well. Never mind, it still tastes great. Far better than any I've made before.

The whole fruit method is a big improvement. Thanks

Sally

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2009, 16:20:29 »
Hurrah!! got mine yesterday from Sainsburys, also basics lemons

Got 3 grapefruit for £1 and bag of limes for 60p from local fruit shop ;)

So,

orange marmalade,
lemon & lime, and
Orange, lemon & grapefruit combo  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2009, 18:40:00 »
Made another 8 Ib jars today - now have 20 jars of the stuff!!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 07:06:51 »
One day, hopefully, I shall find some Sevilles?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal