Author Topic: Watering  (Read 1845 times)

Inky

• Quarter Acre
Watering
« on: January 02, 2009, 15:57:44 »
Im just trying to work out how best to water the plants inside the polytunnel. I plan on getting an 8' x 10' one but it will not be possible for me to go and water every day. So I was thinking if I got stick on guttering for one side of the tunnel leading into a water butt with a drip kit like this http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/product/WBDK.htm to water the plants inside. Now is the guttering likely to catch enough water from the tunnel roof to water the inside, what size waterbutt would I need, could I just use the 100lt one and also would the 10m lenth of pipe be enough for a tunnel of that size? I dont really want to waste a lot of money getting all the wrong things!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Watering
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 16:14:24 »
Polytunnels are notoriously difficult to fit guttering to... a nearby shed will usually produce enough runoff. I use a 40L drum... and if dry wether fill it up from the onsite tap...  ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 16:16:41 »
Like saddad mentioned I too am curious as to where you would put the guttering ???

If you are contemplating putting it at kerb/base level how will you contend with the second requirement in the advertisement?

For the system to work ensure the water butt is a minimum of 12" (30cm) above the plants to be watered.

The fellow on the next plot to me has installed a solar panel to his hut and to this he has wired in a pump which in turn feeds a drip system. At this stage I am not sure how he is going to fill up his water barrel/tank  ???

My guess is he is going to 'tee' it off the general site water supply.

I am looking forward to the methods he is going to adopt this summer.

Inky

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 16:26:09 »
Well Im going to have plants at floor level and water butt on a stand. this is the guttering I saw http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/product/PTGG.htm just just stick on the side of the tunnel, I dont know how else I would be able to fill a butt up with rain water and I will need rain water too for the blueberries.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 10:11:15 »
What will they think of next?

Let us know how you get on with it!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 10:57:18 »
I note that the water will be colleted. Makes it much more effective??

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal