Author Topic: Wormery in Winter  (Read 2185 times)

KathrynH

• Acre
Wormery in Winter
« on: December 29, 2008, 21:18:15 »
Is it ok to keep a wormery outside all winter? Mine is covered in a sheet of plastic to stop rain getting in but I'm wondering if the next few months will be too cold for the worms to survive (although they clearly do in the ground...) and whether I should be doing anything else for extra protection?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Wormery in Winter
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 21:38:14 »
The instructions with mine say it should be kept frost-free.  I suppose in the earth, the worms migrate down to the unfrozen earth, so it makes sense.  If you've got nowhere to move it to, your could wrap it in layers of cardboard, newspapers, bubble-wrap, old carpet or similar.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 16:19:58 »
I have just started a new wormery. The instructions for it say keep at an even temperature, so not too cold in winter nor too hot in summer. So I have set it up in our utility room just by the back door where it should be frost free. Just to be safe I have also wrapped the thing in fleece.

With all the cold weather and frost we have been having i dont fancy the chances of worms in and outdoor wormery at the moment, unless it is very well insulated or in a warm location.

jellied

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 12:35:56 »
I've seen jackets you can buy for wormies but as has been said before just wrapping a carpet around it and keeping it out of the wind should suffice.

Mine have survived for several years and infact I think are more prone to harm from being to hot than to cold.

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 17:33:15 »
I'm aways fascinated that so many people seem to have spare bits of carpet for various gardening purposes. Where do you all get it from?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 19:46:54 »
I don't throw offcuts of new carpet away - I stow them in the roofspace of the garage.  You could ask on Freecycle too, they're often advertised.  Or try local carpet shops/fitters?

compostfairy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 20:46:36 »
Hi KathrynH! How exciting, you've got a wormery and lots of new pets!!!  :D What type of wormery have you got? I have had a Can-O-Worms for many years now, and find the worms survive the cold fine if you add plenty of cardboard and shredded paper , even some autumn leaves if you have them,  to the top layer where they feed. It all slows down over winter, so don't add too much kitchen waste or it'll go off before they can eat it. I find corrugated cardboard and eggboxes are best-they wriggle into the little spaces.
I have an old hot water tank insulating jacket (courtesy of a Freecycler) round the wormbin, plus a top layer of cardboard secured with a plastic binliner to keep excess rain off. They all looked fine yesterday, and it was -3 here!
I agree with Jellied, its often the hot weather that kills them, not the cold...not that heat has been an issue for the last year or so...lol!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal