Author Topic: fresh manure  (Read 944 times)

simmo116

• Acre
fresh manure
« on: December 28, 2008, 13:58:51 »
ive got a few beds ready for the new year but was wondering when to manure. ive only just got some and its prety fresh. is it ok to spread over now or should i dig it in? or should i not bother this year and add a compost/fertilizer instead?
the beds will have spuds in them.. ??? ??? ???

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: fresh manure
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 14:07:28 »
I'd spread it on now then trench into it to put the spuds inj in Spring, but ideas and practice do differ...  :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: fresh manure
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 11:13:15 »
the beds will have spuds in them..

Because you mention this I think I would use it at planting time  rather than create two lots of digging.e.g

Dig you potato tench/s a little deeper than you would have, had your manure been dug in earlier, then add a layer of manure in the bottom of the trench and plant your potato seed on this, back filling as you go on.

Now there are those who will say this takes out all the nitrogen from your soil and they are not wrong but only at the lower levels in the soil.

What you have to remember is; the growing process of the potato, and indeed the tomato and that is;

the moisture seeking roots are on the bottom which in this case would go into the moisture retentative manure, the feeding roots which ultimately produce the potatoes will grow horizontally into the soil above the manure.

Plus if you earth your earth your potatoes up you deepen this soil level thus encourage a bigger root system resulting in 'more potatoes'

As Saddad mentioned; some peoples ideas will differ and as you see 'my view' differs!

And as I mentioned before; my way reduces the digging aspect and anything that reduces that is good in my book!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal