Author Topic: Planting out leeks  (Read 2194 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Planting out leeks
« on: August 28, 2004, 15:57:48 »
I sowed some baby leek seeds a while ago and they are big enough now for planting out into the beds (well I think they're big enough and I have some space now so need to move them on). I have planted them out today.

But have now just read my book (I know, I should have read it first) and the book says I should trim the roots and leaves when planting on. This sounds very drastic and I'm terrified I'll kill my lovely healthy looking baby leeks if I take this advice.

Obviously it's too late to trim the roots (they're already planted happily in their holes) but should I trim the leaves or just leave them to be?
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
Re:Planting out leeks
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 16:09:07 »
Jesseve,

I would also be interested to find out as I am just about to go to the lottie, where I have a tray of small leeks - if I trimmed the roots and leaves I don't think there would be much leek left!!

I shall await advice also...

Debs ???

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 16:15:57 »
I have never bothered (being basically a lazy sort!!) and mine seem to do ok! Some books say trim, some say don't bother!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tina

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 17:24:27 »
I know a man who knows about these things, and he says don't trim them. Just make a big hole with a big dibber, drop them in, water them well and leave them.

I did it with mine some time ago and they seem fine so far.

Tina.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 17:39:49 »
The reason that some advise trimming leek roots is due to the plant only producing adventitious roots. These roots do not branch (they are botanically a little different from normal roots). By trimming the roots you will induce the plant to produce new adventitious roots from the base plate more quickly. This results in more numerous roots in the active soil zone too. These additional roots will also break up soil clods more effectively. Once the roots are trimmed then trimming the leaves will reduce the stress on the plant.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 19:53:38 »
Okay, so as I'm not planning to trim the roots this time I shall leave the leaves well alone. Thanks all for your advice. Just been out to check on my little leeks and they are looking perky and bright so they seem happy enough after enduring the transplant. Now just have to try and keep the cats, chickens and children from trampling them flat, I have put some holly branches around them so hopefully that will work.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2004, 19:03:00 »
Hi,
    Don't trim the roots and leaves ..Just make a hole and  drop the leak plant in.. Fill hole up with water and leave ,,
Clipping roots and leaves off retards growth of plant..,Cheers ..Jim.
Cheers .. Jim

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 20:05:09 »
Other half trims root and leaf and we have stonking great leeks! Sounds like they do OK if you just plant them but by reading the above they seems to like to trimming???

I suppose it is all down to whether you can be bothered.
Why not try trimming half and see which ones come up the best on the same patch of ground??????? ???

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 20:07:52 »
 :o  :o TOO LATE!!!

I panted my ever so tiny ones a couple of days ago(after trimming both roots and leaves :'()

So now they are miniscule...

Shall keep you all informed as to their progress ...or not as the case may be :-\

Debs

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal