Author Topic: Father Xmas doesn't exist  (Read 9285 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Father Xmas doesn't exist
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2008, 20:46:39 »
What ever she is, the fact remains that in my opinion she is an idiot and think that sacking her is a bit over the top, but a good old fashion stoning wouldn't go a miss.   :o   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2008, 20:56:33 »
deleted by asbean
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 21:18:22 by asbean »
The Tuscan Beaneater

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2008, 21:10:41 »
The article shows real facts of matter.
"Is There a Santa Claus?" was the headline that appeared over an editorial in the September 20, 1897 edition of the New York Sun.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2008, 22:13:10 »
When it is put like that, you could not even say it was a lie.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2008, 23:38:23 »
TGG ,thanks for that.What a lovely post.

I love the last line.To make glad the heart of childhood. :)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2008, 17:59:36 »
 :-\

I live round the corner from the school in question. I have heard lots of locals discussing the event and so far have the following to report:

No children have been seen weeping and wailing in the streets.

A straw poll of 5/6/7 year olds in the area have been questioned and have stated that they "...don't give a **** who gives out the pressies as long as they arrive..."

Parents are split 50/50 about the issue, adults who do not have children are split 50/50 and the rest are at the pub.

There, your on-the-spot reporter has done her work...

;)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2008, 18:11:42 »
When it is put like that, you could not even say it was a lie.

When it's put like that, I'm speechless ::)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2008, 18:13:09 »
I am sure that this report has been exaggerated by the papers.  I suppose I believe that children should be told the truth and if they ask a specific question, then don't lie, just say some people believe and little children love it and don't spoil the surprise but I don't think you can tell children it is true if they are old enough to question it.  I am just glad that I am not a teacher as whatever they say is wrong.  I don't suppose she/he meant to send children home in tears but was only trying to answer a question.  If a 7 year old asked me the question I could not say Father Xmas existed as a fact, but would say a lot of little children believe and it is a nice idea but it is not real.  That is only telling the truth and I suppose I would have been sacked, if I had said he was real I may have also got sacked.  I am glad that I am not a teacher.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2008, 18:13:49 »
 ;D@ KatyNB

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2008, 18:19:00 »
Borlotti, I think that if a teacher can't field and deflect questions such as this, they're really not much cop. Some 'truths' really don't need to be told in school, particularly (if this report is true) to a class of children probably all with differing ideas. Just my thoughts.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2008, 18:25:46 »
Too many truths are told to children these days.Normally about things they can not possibly understand.This only leads to anxiety.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2008, 18:36:23 »
Aww! Santa Claus/Father Christmas  Santa Claus/Father Christmas  let's call the whole thing off!? ;D ;D

In my not so humble opinion the whole thing exists for parents and grandparents. The kids rarely even get what they actually want! I mean for puppy read doggy pyjama case??????

We always put out a carrot for the reindeer as well as the Bailey's  and mince pie for Santa: the kids knew Dad would deal with the last two but couldn't imagine him eating a carrot. :o :o (first husband btw not Peter)

If you don't like teachers telling your child that Santa/FC doesn't exist, how about them getting to tell them all about sex, how to use condoms etc , what all the different drugs are and do ...?

Maybe a bit more important in the long run? And do we really want teachers doing our job as parents?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2008, 19:06:06 »
I hate the thought of Teachers teaching my grandkids about sex and drugs,I have met some right twits aka teachers

We taught our own kids in our own way,when we felt the time was right.

We told them about birth control,drew the line at telling em how to use condoms,think most young people are capable of working that out for themselves,we did. :)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2008, 19:24:55 »
The last two posts really summarise my thinking.  I most certainly do not want teachers doing my job as a parent and yet my feeling is that increasingly the line is being blurred and crossed.

I am sure that most  children over 5 know that FC does not really exist, but we all play the game and how the story is told and maintained is part of a families rituals and customs and it is not for a stranger aka teacher to decide how and when to end that.

There - now I feel better :D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2008, 19:44:29 »
But it's not your kids that need to be taught about sex and drugs - it's the non-working career doley underclass who need to be taught... and their parents won't be teaching them what anyone on here would be. I went to school with someone who was given pot by his parents and someone else I know got his first ever Heroin from his uncle...

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2008, 20:15:41 »
 ::)

...not to mention the well heeled parents who give their kids enough money to get themselves senseless on whatever they choose. Let's not beat up the already beaten?!

:-X

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2008, 22:01:32 »
::)

...not to mention the well heeled parents who give their kids enough money to get themselves senseless on whatever they choose. Let's not beat up the already beaten?!

:-X
I agree.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2008, 23:19:58 »
But it's not your kids that need to be taught about sex and drugs
Sorry Ollie but you're wrong: it is your kids that need to be taught about sex and drugs. They will be taught about it at school - my point is that I would rather do that as a parent.

Having said that I think my age 25+ kids have all had their sex and drugs experiments having been given info by me and school. But they are more or less balanced now!

I am a bit concerned that schools are being given the responsibility for ethical areas that formerly were the responsibility of the family however given the nature of today's society it does perhaps provide a safety net.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2008, 16:00:15 »
Thanks for the update Katy, will you be going live on Christmas Day.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2008, 16:48:14 »
 8)

Well, Kev, it depends on what other assignments are given to me at the festive hour. Obviously, us at KatyNews.com are available to cover any important news story!

Suggestions for outstandingly important stories will be considered...over to you?

;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal