Author Topic: Father Xmas doesn't exist  (Read 9361 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Father Xmas doesn't exist
« on: December 11, 2008, 19:28:26 »
Do you think the teacher that told the truth that Father Xmas doesn't exist to 7 year olds, but that Mummy and Daddy brought the presents should have got the sack.  She was a supply teacher, so I believe.  I think my grandchildren found out as they recognised my writing when I put from Father Xmas on some little presents.  I would rather she kept her job for telling the truth and that Haringey Council social services all got the sack.
Please don't be upset ACE if you still believe in Father Xmas.  I expect some funny remarks back!!!!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Father Xmas doesn't exist
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 19:42:22 »
My two twigged when they were aged 6 and 4 - they recognised the chap dressed up as father xmas dishing out pressies and put two and two together (they're bright sparks).  Unfortunately they spilled the beans to my nephew (also aged 6 at the time and was a believer) and there was a bit of a family rift because of this.  We've never been allowed to forget it.  Apparently it was all my fault for putting left-wing ideas into their little heads! (Don't know where that came from, but it did!)
The Tuscan Beaneater

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 19:54:52 »
I don't suppose many 7 year olds really believe. But hey whats wrong with a bit of magic for those that might have done. Childhoods far too short nowadays.

My grandchildren still believe, so much so, that when I told them that Santa kept all his savings in an Icelandic bank, they looked really sad when they realised that there would not be any presents this year.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 21:49:05 »
I don't believe in Santa any more...........the Easter Bunny told me it was a myth ;D.

Talking of myths.........thats a female moth innit? ::)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 10:23:04 »
my kids 3 and 9 still believe i think i stopped believing shortly after my 10Th b/day. my nine year old i think knows its not true but seems at the moment to enjoy believing if you see what i mean.

I don't suppose many 7 year olds really believe. But hey whats wrong with a bit of magic for those that might have done. Childhoods far too short nowadays.

i couldn't agree more.

if a teacher had done this to my daughter i would have been most upset because i know my daughter would have become heart broken over it. i think there are somethings people should really leave to families to sort out or clarify in their own way and time.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 10:58:10 »
a lad my daughter went to school with the was always told that santa didnt exist because his mum was devastated when she found out and didnt want the same for her children, i have to say they never let on which is admiral

tin can

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 11:01:12 »
My kids till believe and they are in their 20's!
NB...I did make it quite clear to them when they were much younger that if they still believed they'd still get a pressie from Santa - as well as the one we would give them! ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 11:06:42 »
I cannot find out what religion this sad person practises. If she was brought up with sand between her toes, she will soon be getting a pay off for being dismissed.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 13:05:26 »
How out of order is this? >:( I didn't hear of or read this news. Hope the supply teacher now realizes his/her mistake and 'supplies' another (older) age group?

I agree totally with ACE and Thifasmom on this and also experienced the little child who didn't 'believe' but wanted to hang on to the myth for a while.....and why not, for goodness sake?

EH?

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 14:17:56 »
My grandson was 8 when he asked his mum if Santa was real. Bless her she rang me and was upset to think the magic would be spoilt if she told him the truth.

Like I said to her, if he's old enough to ask the question he is ready for the answer. He could have been plagued by the other schoolkids cruel remarks if he still believed in something they didn't.

Of course its magical and like ACE says.....why not?

I agree TM, it should be a family thing and evolve with our own kids as they grow.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 15:57:18 »
Shh I'm sure Sam still believes, ;D  kids find out as they grow up gradually, they don't need some jumped up arse of an alleged teacher telling them.  >:( >:( >:(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 16:02:49 »
She should have used her common sense but I think sacking is a little harsh.  I remember my younger brother asking me if Santa was real, so remembering my mums hatred of lies and constantly having it drummed into me that the truth is always the right thing to do, I rightly told him the truth that no it was all made up! I got a smack and was sent to my room!!! Never did understand the logic of that!  :( :o
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 16:25:11 »
I remember when i discovered  'the truth', found all these unwrapped pressies in mums wardrobe, ( can't remember why i looked in there) it was the worst Christmas ever, I had to pretend how surprised I was at the gifts I received, knowing Santa hadn't brought them.............it was never the same after that ......................... :'(
Life is to short !!!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 16:55:06 »
Strange getting a typo in such a finished piece.

But the truth is spoken!!

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 16:57:17 by tim »

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 17:04:15 »
tin can has it right then.

You believe until you're 20
you disbelieve until you're 40
you are Santa until you're 60
then after that you grow to look like Santa.

I like that Tim :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 18:51:12 »
Mine believe - 9 and 8, and my sister who is in her 30's still believes a bit, but then she swears to this day she saw him in the flesh in our house!

It is a tough call, we teach them not to lie, to be honest and tell the truth, and then we spin lots of fibs whilst they are little...tooth fairy, easter bunny, Santa.  On the other hand, they aren't babies for long, they will be adults for an age, so for me, as long as they are happy to believe and enjoy being children, then I'm afraid, I am happy for  the wonderful Father Christmas to continue coming to our house on Christmas Eve.

However.....a little slightly off topic question my daughter asked last year when her school took part in the shoebox appeal where you fill a shoebox with little gifts, like soap, colouring pencils, toothbrushes etc and the boxes are then sent to an orphanage in eastern Europe.....she wondered why Father Christmas didn't look after those children in the same way, aren't all children equal....had they been really really bad.  That put me on the spot....so I told her that as parents, we have to send Father Christmas some money each year to put towards the gifts, so those children whose parents are very poor, or those children who perhaps don't have any might get missed out so we give santa a helping hand by filling a box and sending it to these children.  Right or wrong answer.....well at the time it was the best I could come up with and they both love to think about the child who is going to open their parcel on Christmas day.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 19:57:39 »
Childhood is too short, and what's wrong with a bit of mysticism and magic?  Childhood used to last until you were 11/12, but nowadays by the age of eight its all over.

I find it very sad.

valmarg

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 20:00:44 »
We don't know what the teacher said or if other children in the class had said there was no Father Xmas.  But I have never lied to my granddaughter.  When she asks about Father Christmas I just wink at her, and say do you want presents.  I am sure she knows that it is Mummy or Nanny.  At 7 years, with other children in the class I am sure they know.  It is a bit sad if children ask for expensive toys from Santa and poor Mum or Dad can't afford it.  I just say Santa can only bring a chocolate orange and a few colouring books not the bike or computer that you really, really want.  I suppose it puts parents under pressure if children believe and are disappointed at Christmas.  I think it is sweet for very little ones, but once they go to school or have older brothers or sisters they may get laughed at for believing.  My son hated Father Christmas, he stuffed his teddy up the fireplace in his bedroom and didn't want some old man coming in the night.  He is over 40 now and still sleeps with the light on (only joking). But I will hang my stocking on Christmas Eve but I expect I will disappointed but still remember the lovely rustle of paper on Christmas morning and I never knew it was Mum and Dad until I was about 9 or 10, but children grow up a lot quicker today.  If you were a teacher and had been asked a direct question what would you have said.  I suppose I would have just said ask Mummy when you get home.

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 20:02:04 »
Thats funny my wife thinks she married him. ;D ;D

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 20:41:52 »
Oh, come off it - I always knew it was my parents! You don't seriously think kids are thick, do you?

But I've been a supply teacher too - you guard your words.

(I don't know what was said either, only what the papers said was said - nothing remotely like the truth!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal