Author Topic: Frodo  (Read 2475 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Frodo
« on: November 22, 2008, 22:47:57 »
I haven't been able to mention this before.  I lost my old girl Cassie at the end of the summer holidays. She was 18.  My one constant,my dog ,my girl and I miss her.  You can see her somewhere in these pages way back in the twenty somethings. I went to retrieve her thread a few weeks ago but it upset me too much and also seeing the lovely peeps who posted on her thread added more upset. Merlinsmum in particular. :(

I hated being in the house after Cass went. The two cats Spook and Ron were a comfort but the place felt empty and quiet.  I swore I was not going to have another dog. I really meant it too.  Only a fortnight later my OH came home with details of some puppies. I tried to refuse but I was easily persuaded and now I think for me it has been the right thing to do. I am still terribly upset about Cass but without my new responsibility I think I'd have probably been in a worse state.

So Frodo,the Scottish terrier has been taking up most of my time recently.  He is now 4 months old and is already a huge part of our lives.  He is the scruffiest dog I've ever known. He is part crocodile I'm sure though he is chewing his toys more than us these days thankfully.

He gets on well with the cats,though Ron doesn't like him much. Spook couldn't care less as he knows he has the weapons to put Frodo in his place. Image of a cartoon cat pinging his claws out one by one pops into the head.

Frodo went to two puppy parties. Caused havoc at the first,so much so that when he went to have his second jab the vet exclaimed "OH Frodo ,I've heard all about you!" He didn't let her down either and nurse was needed to help. The next party he behaved like a saint whilst a little westie kicked off with all the other pups.  I was quite pleased about that tbh  :)  Not just my dog then.

Busy trying to get Frodo to walk properly on the lead.  He simply refuses to walk out of the street but is fine once he is out of it  ???  He is getting better each time so that is good.  He's great off the lead.

The children adore him. They weren't too happy at first because of his biting but now they are both great at keeping him in check . My son loves to take him for walks before school.  When My son was walking home from school one afternoon some girls from the High school called over to him (hre's in Middle school. "You're Ben aren't you?  You've got a Scottie dog! " then they all cheered and put their thumbs up.   No wonder Ben likes walking him eh?!

This is him at 10 weeks.

betula

• Hectare
Re: Frodo
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 22:57:11 »
Frodo looks such a scamp.

I am sure you are going to have a lot of fun with him. :)

Cassie will always be in your heart.So hard to say goodbye to our old friends.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 23:04:19 »
First dog I knew well was my granny's scottie - Dougie! he was a great wee dog and I had loads of fun playing with him until I got my own dog when I was 8.
Scotties need a firm hand but they are great friendly characterful little dogs. I wish you many years of fun with Frodo.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 11:45:56 »
has he got any legs yet H? See you've got a beautifully-swept floor ;D

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 12:16:44 »
He looks like a character - gorgeous.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 20:40:35 »
Thanks  ;D

Definately needs a firm hand.  We have all become avid watchers of the Dog Whisperer looking for tips. He's brilliant that man.  My daughter seems like a natural dog handler...it's marvellous to watch...'cept her "My Little Ponies" are under constant threat of a good chewing whatever she may tell Frodo.

No Hya,Frodo's legs aint stretching yet,he's just getting thicker set ,furrier and longer but not much taller! I'm sitting here with Frodo at my feet and Ron is sat on the arm of my chair.  It's a nice place  :)

Swept floor...it had been recently jet washed and it was the best it had ever looked all year. I always wanted the bleached out beach boardwalk look and now atleast I know it does look like that... underneath all the grot  :)

When does one take a dog for a haircut? How old should they be? What does one ask for?  Have read a horror story on the net about people asking for a "summer cut" and their dogs have been scalped. Obviously summer cuts are not for now but I need some advice. I groom him to keep the tatts out and he has been bathed. He likes the bath but hates the hairdryer.  The haircut thing I'm worried about. Met a lady at a market who has Scotties,she said I should do the haircut myself but unless someone shows me I'd be unwilling to even try.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 11:05:24 »
Best to ask around. See if there's someone local who does a good job. Or go back to the breeder. You can probably get a book that will give you the basics if all else fails. There are also (City +Guilds???) courses although I think they're more aimed at folk that do it for a living. We have someone local who hand strips my girls about once every 3 or 4 months. Mind you it costs over £60 for the two but I just don't have the time to do it myself.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 09:16:32 »
Hello
Im so sorry that you lost your freind. I cant even bear to think about my collie jakey dieing.

My jakey is very prone to over heating so i clip him short in the summer and just the shaggy bits in the winter. I used to take him to the clippers but he hated it , especially the indignity of having his ears, nose, bottom! cleaned with some kind of baby oil?

so i bought a pet groomer from argos @£20.
Its been great, you have different combs for different lengths and so long as you cut int he direction of the hair and not against it it works well (rather than scalped patches!)

Sometimes he'll only tolerate it for so long and ends up with one side short and one long for a few days but in general he loves the attension.

so go for it its cheaper, your new doggie gets to have quality time with his mummy.

just put down a blanket and wear old clothes that you strip off as soon asyou are done to stop getting dog hairs stuck in you.
good luck x sunloving

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 22:57:28 »
Thankyou for the tips  :)

Phoned a "poodle parlour" but were all full up until after New Year. All these posh pooches for the festivities  :D  It's a whole new world for me.

Asked OH for the breeder's telephone number. He's lost it. Don't really want to travel down to Newcastle on the off chance, which is a pity because Frodo's mum was very nicely groomed. Aw, she was lovely  :) It's a bit of a hike for a dog's haircut too.

Met a lady at an antique market who has Scotties. Turns out she is hoping to breed her own pups with Frodo's dad or Grandpa as the sire. Eek! She was a bit scary and insisted I should show Frodo. Not for me that.  But she did say stripping and clipping the dogs was "dead easy".  I feel I need to see one done first though. She didn't have her dogs with her.

A mother's haircut is looking more inviting,where's the pudding basin??  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal