Author Topic: Netting on brassicas  (Read 3062 times)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
Netting on brassicas
« on: November 14, 2008, 15:16:29 »
I have netting over my cabbages/caulis and brussels - can I take this off now or will I leave myself open to attack from maurading pigeons?    ::)
twinkletoes

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Netting on brassicas
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 15:20:14 »
I learned this lesson last year........keep it on! The pigeons will decimate all that lovely cabbagy/ PSB goodness within days!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

portsmouth30

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 15:26:42 »
Leave it on, the buggers will decimate the whole lot within a couple of days; unless you want to shoot them and make a pigeon pie?, can supply a really good recipe

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 15:27:45 »
Thanks Deb P/portsmouth30 - it's definitely staying on!!   ;D ;D
twinkletoes

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 16:58:00 »
You'll find its a grand idea to leave the netting on your brassicas.If your pigeons see any green whatsoever they will munch away contentedly until you go more that just boo to 'em.
The pigeons round our place are so fat that have to walk as they cant fly !
My greens are in a dirty great big cage but i at least get to eat my brussell tops.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 18:03:27 »
When I used to grow quite a lot of cabbage I once took 200 plants from my greenhouse up to the allotments then returned home for my dinner, on returning to the allotment the pigeons had help themselves to there dinner, there was not one plant that had not been left alone by the pigeons, i never repeat never leave any brassicas now unnetted, with the loss of so many Market Gardeners allotments are the favorate hunting grounds for the pesky things nowadays.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 18:10:20 »
Growing in my garden, the only time I had probs with marauding pigeons was last year, when the neighbour had taken to throw out 'crumbs' ie half-loaves? for the birds. And so the pigeons came in droves...it was when he stopped feeding them that they turned on my psb & sprouts......so, this year then, if I net them now (they're so-far undamaged) will the nets have to stay on all through the Spring for the psb, please?

Lishka

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 18:32:17 »
if I net them now (they're so-far undamaged) will the nets have to stay on all through the Spring for the psb, please?

I am fortunate not to have had to use nets over the years.  If pigeons are a problem then my advice would be to leave the nets on especially now.  During the winter colder months there is less food available to birds and it is therefore making your greens look all the more desirable and tasty to the birds and wildlife..
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 19:08:27 »
There is that balance between how much bread is put out for the little darlings and how bad a winter it is. One year we got away without netting the sprouts, another year we had two meals from six plants.

Now I play safe and net every single brassica immediately they're planted  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Wish the cats would do a better job, they do their best but it's not good enough.
The Tuscan Beaneater

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 00:18:57 »
On this thread, could I please put a plea not to use the cheap netting that is flimsy and has 1cmish holes as it is a killer for birds - especially blackbirds.  I have in the past freed three from netting like thisn (not al mine) but have unfortunately also had to untangle a dead female blackbird in mid spring!!!  They love getting in through gaps in the netting but then cannot find their way out and get tangled.  I do not use it anymore!
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Looby Loo

• Half Acre
    • Louise Jayne photography
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 07:22:29 »
I was fortunate enough to find some blue scaffolders netting in a skip (miles of it) and now have a beautiful 'greens' house for my greens.  It does block out a little bit of light but not enough to worry about, and it acts as a wind-break.  Also the holes are very small and it's heavy enough for the birds not to get tangled in.  Practical and free!!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 09:17:06 »
I never take any protection off my crops cos the pests are just waiting for a chance to get at them.  We only haave to start packing our tools away and they are watching us and waiting for us to go, They even peck through the netting at the sprouts.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal