Author Topic: Charlie  (Read 1751 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Charlie
« on: November 14, 2008, 15:09:59 »
Am still having trouble with Charlie.  Since Zorba died (had to have him put to sleep at vets as he was very ill). Charlie (my stray cat for 8 years) is driving us mad.  He is still howling, crying every night at 3.30 am and then jumps on the bed and wakes us up.  He has got very fussy about what food he eats, never any trouble before and waits behind the front door if I go out.  He constantly needs to sit on a lap.  Before this he was out all day, asleep on the shed and no trouble at all with food.  He didn't even seem to like Zorba much as they had a few punch ups if they got too close, but they were like 'copy cats' if one went out the other did.  If one sat somewhere the other did a few minutes after.  My OH will not allow me to have another cat/kitten and I think Charlie would beat it up if I did, but I thought by now, 4 weeks he would be better and not keep looking for Zorba.  I have got over it as I know I did the right thing but animals must have feelings or else he would not be acting so odd.  I did try and put a cuddly toy on the settee but he wasn't convinced.  Hopefully he will get over this soon.  Anyone else had a similar problem.

chloe55

• Not So New ...
Re: Charlie
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 22:32:54 »
You can get collars, room sprays and adaptors for cats (and different ones for dogs) which release calming pheromones which might help with your cat. The plug ins do take a couple of weeks to start to take effect, you won't actually be able to smell anything from it. They are particularly used around bonfire and NYE time for obvious reasons but can also be used for any stresses. If you have a word with your vet they should know what you are talking about - It's called Feliway.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 22:54:28 »
Thanks Chloe.  I think we will just have to give him loads of cuddles, and he is sleeping on our bed and hopefully he will get over it.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 12:24:12 »
Charlie is still doing his wailing/crying at night.  He is on my lap and if I go out waits at the door.  He was never like this before, no trouble at all till Zorba was put to sleep. He seems to be still looking for him (perhaps if Zorba had died at home and Charlie had smelt him he would have been OK).   I am thinking about getting a kitten from RSPCA but have to talk other half round.  I am fed up with never getting any sleep as it is about 3.30 am he starts.  He could come upstairs on the bed but just sits by the back door and wails.  Strange cat.  He follows me everywhere like a dog and won't go out unless I do which is odd as he was always out.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal