Author Topic: Bar***rds have stolen two chickens!  (Read 2287 times)

Old bird

• Hectare
Bar***rds have stolen two chickens!
« on: November 10, 2008, 11:49:27 »
I shut my chooks up at the allotment 5pm Friday evening and Saturday morning som lousy thief had cut the wire - and got two of my chooks - they used to sleep in the nest boxes which I had held closed just with a clip - and they spirited them away.

I thought that a fox had broken into my run a couple of weeks ago and even though I was upset - I was amazed that the fox had tried ripping the wire at where it joined a post (as against in a long run) - there was a bit bent over at the top - and I was pleased with myself - as I had shut them in that night.  Now of course I realise that it was two legged vermin - possibly seeing if there were any eggs to steal.

Anyway the girls were a bit withdrawn when them were opened on Saturday morning - and then - when I did a head count - there were two missing.

WHY?  These were two of the scrawniest of the lot - I don't think they were laying - as I got 8 eggs yesterday (out of 8!) - I just hope that whoever took them is either looking after them or they are dead already!

On Friday night they had obviously got some wirecutters and a straight line was cut downwards - so definitely human!  As I am in the far corner with an access to garages right by the run - I suppose it was not difficult for them - Luckily I spoke to the Head Honcho at the Council on Saturday and he is going to see if they can put up a gate or some barrier to stop people coming in that way.

I am upset - but mostly angry - that this has happened!  I was always bragging about how crime free we were here in Minehead - serves me right I suppose!

Old Bird

???

betula

• Hectare
Re: Bar***rds have stolen two chickens!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 11:58:44 »
This is bad news Ann.You prepare yourself for the fox but not humans.

Try and get that gate sorted as fast as possible.

I could think of a few other names for them >:(

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 12:06:19 »
There was an episode of chicken theft at our local farm, 14 hens where stolen >:(

We knew it wasn't a fox as there were only feathers, no carcasses. It is so disheartening to try your best with veg and any livestock to either have it trashed or nicked.

I hope you manage to get everything secure for the safety of the remaining hens. And I hope the thieves are caught and prosecuted 
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 12:50:38 »
That's just mean... I know how much they mean to you. Barsards.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 19:24:55 »
so sorry to hear that, old bird..don't know what to say  >:(

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 09:45:35 »
Sorry to hear about your loss Old Bird and hope the Council put a gate up for you soon.

B7jac

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 11:58:56 »
Oh that is terrible! why would someone do this? its not like they cost a fortune to buy ! esp ex battery hens !

But they mean more to you than just egg layers, people don't realise what they upset they cause. 
You always love your children more than they love you...

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 07:58:11 »
I hope whoever stole them chokes on 'em!! sorry to hear of your loss, old bird. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Poet

• Quarter Acre
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 23:46:00 »
if i lived closer I would have staked out the place with you and grabbed the b's in the act (I read on another post it had happened again) so sorry for you, i'd make sure they didn't come back!  >:(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal