Author Topic: Mild varieties?  (Read 4593 times)

fluffygrue

• Acre
Mild varieties?
« on: November 04, 2008, 09:39:16 »
This isn't something I've seen discussed much anywhere.. but what do people consider the mildest chilli? I'd quite like to grow some that I can use abundantly in cooking.

Ta for any advice :)

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: Mild varieties?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 09:44:12 »
Why use mild chillies abundantly when you could use a hotter variety sparingly?

Im not a chilli expert but if you remove the seeds and the white "pith" inside then the majority of the heat will have gone anyway.

Sits back and waits to be corrected  ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 09:50:02 »

Im not a chilli expert but if you remove the seeds and the white "pith" inside then the majority of the heat will have gone anyway.

A lot of the heat is in the seeds, yes.. but you're still not answering my question. :P

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 09:55:21 »

A lot of the heat is in the seeds, yes.. but you're still not answering my question. :P

I said Im not an expert......someone will be along quite soon Im sure  ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 11:11:12 »
Milder chillies often have interesting flavours which aren't obscured by loads of scoville units. However to use a lot of them they would have to be almost without any heat.

Pepperoncini / Friarello which are usually fried and eaten whole, verge on being sweet peppers especially the latter

You might find Chilli Pimiento Padron suits..

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/catalogue/14

but I havent tried them. (I'm a big fan of the Cayenne and Ciliega Piccante from these chaps but don't suppose that's very relevant)

Ancho/Poblanos, Guajillos, Mulato, Holy Mole etc are usually used cooked for sauces but also raw for salsas.

Numex have developed several such as Sunrise, Sunset and Eclipse that are almost without heat for use in salads and salsas. http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/chile-pepper-institute-c.html
 - the catalogue link is at the bottom of the page.

How about something like a Krimson (Crimson) Lee - a paprika style pepper?

My favourite mild pepper (for making powder) is Espanola, but confusingly there now appears to be a hot version of it with the same name  ???

I'm trying to grow a Trinidad Perfume - meant to very mild with a lovely scent - but only got one seed to germinate and that only has two rather sad looking little fruit on it. Can't recommend the supplier due to poor germination of this and other seed from them.

I usually find the very mild ones hard to get to the ripe fruit stage, don't know why...

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 19:43:46 »
I agree with Barnown, the mild NuMex are great, one to add to the list is NuMex Primavera, also take out the seeds to Bulgarian Carrot and It's mild enough to snack on. 

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 23:00:37 »
I just grow Apache and prefer them green. Either they're really mild or I've really lost my taste buds :o

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 11:12:23 »
When ripe Apache are usually rated 5 - a little hotter than the Jalapenos you'd get on a pizza.

I agree with Barnown, the mild NuMex are great, one to add to the list is NuMex Primavera, also take out the seeds to Bulgarian Carrot and It's mild enough to snack on. 

Thanks Biscombe, I forgot about  Primavera - it's also quite quick to fruit.

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 12:11:51 »
Wow - thanks a lot for that. Just the sort of recommendations I was after. :)

Melanie

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 00:36:22 »
I agree that mild chillis are the way to go - if only because they are the very types it it almost impossible to buy.

One hot plant will put enough into the freezer to keep me going all year but I can't get enough of the mild ones because I'd eat as much as most people eat sweet ones (which to me have very little flavour of any kind).

I grow Alma Paprika but they are almost indistinguishable from a sweet pepper - a little extra flavour and a little more hardiness but that's all.

I know what I'm really looking for because I tried Trinidad Habanero from Simpsons (no longer available) in '06 and got similar results to Barnowl'd Trin Perfume - poor germination, late development but I was rewarded with one orange wrinkly fruit looking exactly like a VERY hot scotch bonnet/habanero/C.chinensis and tasting the same but without the heat - brilliant - I think a meal with a dozen would taste much better than one with sweet peppers in and then you could add a bit of hot chilli to taste. These two may even be the same variety.

I tried Tobago Seasoning and Aji Dulce#2 this year but same problem + worse summer = no fruit.

I did have a reasonable result with one called Pimento Tangerine - a nice spicy taste with not much more heat than a poblano. Unfortunately I don't have many of the original seeds and the ones from this fruit don't look that strong...

Anyone tried Numex Suave? since it's from a proper breeding programme maybe it's reliable AND tasty??

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 07:40:04 »

Aji Angelo - spicy and fruity but not hot

Trinidad Perfume - Did well for me this year, Looks evil but has no heat whatsoever, great on veg kebab skewers, I'll make an effort to grow this every year!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 07:42:15 by Biscombe »

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 07:51:58 »
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I have a feeling that strong chillis can damage the internal gut flora. For some people it may be better to stick to mild ones.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 09:47:30 »
Biscombe, I forgot to tell you that my over-wintered Trinidad Perfume (sown 2008) fruited very heavily this year.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 00:15:39 »
Biscombe, I forgot to tell you that my over-wintered Trinidad Perfume (sown 2008) fruited very heavily this year.

This sounds like exactly what I need.

How did you do it? what sort of temps? watering etc.

Did they all survive or do I need to keep extras to cover the odds?

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal