Author Topic: Old compost  (Read 923 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Old compost
« on: November 03, 2008, 09:39:00 »
I have got 7 or 8 black buckets in whcih my greenhouse toms and aubergines were growing. Over the season they have suffered from sciarid fly and (I think) mosaic virus. Should I just get rid of the compost in my council green bin, or would it be ok to use as a mulch on my non-edibles?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Old compost
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 13:56:04 »
they have suffered from sciarid fly

That should not create any problems, frost will kill of any larvae that might be hanging around..

and (I think) mosaic virus. Should I just get rid of the compost in my council green bin, or would it be ok to use as a mulch on my non-edibles?

I am assuming you mean on outdoor subjects, if so this should be OK also.

I wouldn't use it on any indoor subjects, most viruses are endemic so they usually only affect plants of the same family and providing the plants you are planning on using it on are not of the same family, then all should be OK.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 16:04:48 »
Thanks, TG. So does that mean I could use it on my veg beds too?After blight thsi year, I don't intend to grow any outdoor toms next year.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 16:18:04 »
So does that mean I could use it on my veg beds too?After blight thsi year, I don't intend to grow any outdoor toms next year.

oo!! Give some people an inch and they will take a mile  ;D

Just remember potatoes are of the same family as tomatoes  so you could be asking for problems if you use it on these.

I would stick to the non-veg stuff if it were me. What I tend to do with my 'used' compost is use it in my containers.

I fill the bottom third of a container with this rather than completely fill them with new compost, its much cheaper this way plus the bottom third of a pot/container is generally full of moisture seeking roots rather than feeders so it makes a good reservoir.

But in the end;

The choice is yours!!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 16:58:22 »
I do the same as Tee Gee, use old compost in my containers for ornamentals ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 17:06:21 »
Ok, I'll stick to the non-edibles! It's about time they got some attention, anyway! ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal