Author Topic: how long do brussel sprouts take to develop?  (Read 2516 times)

anthea

• Not So New ...
how long do brussel sprouts take to develop?
« on: October 23, 2008, 15:30:56 »
This is my first year of growing brussel sprouts, but as it turns out, I'm going to be away from Nov until mid Jan.  My sprout plants are just starting to show tiny little signs of sprouts, but I planted them very late (they're supposed to produce Oct - Dec but didn't go into the ground until mid July).

Can anyone tell me, how long do the sprouts take to get from tiny to overgrown? And what's the likelihood of them producing decent sprouts with no attention at all from now onwards?

I don't think anyone will pick them while I'm away.  If the sprouts will last on the plants until mid Jan I could leave them as they are, but I've read that sprouts need lots of care, and if they're likely to get attacked by insects and/or get club root (though I don't know how I'd know if I'd got it), and if the sprouts will be well past it by mid Jan, perhaps I should pull them up now and avoid whatever problems they might bring?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: how long do brussel sprouts take to develop?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 16:11:59 »
Do not pull them up as there is no need.  Leave them in the ground and you should still get a decent size sprout.  Ensure you stake the plants to avoid damage in bad weather.  They will be fine until Jan when you return and do not worry too much about insects etc eating them over the winter.  Most will not be around due to the colder temperatures.  Some people put netting over the tops of the plants to protect from birds but I have never bothered and always had a decent crop..... so far ::)   
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anthea

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 19:26:41 »
Thanks, that's very encouraging.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 21:18:12 »
Ask around your sites about pigeon damage if you're not sure. It varies tremendously. some places seem to get none, I get none in the summer but unprotected brassicas are eaten down to skeletons once the cold weather arrives. Other sites get it all year round.

anthea

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 10:05:28 »
Thanks very much for this warning about pigeons once the cold sets in. I'd assumed that now the sprout plants had finally got going, they'd be safe.

Things on my allotment - ie I mean my plot in particular - get pecked to pieces by pigeons while they leave lots of others' plots alone; I seem to be a favoured spot on their flight path.

My first 12 plants were demolished by pigeons, despite my having made a netting cage for them. These, I've wrapped in individual wire tubes but the pigeons still peck through the wire and it's only after lots of efforts with propping sticks at angles to try to keep the pigeons away that they've got to the stage they 've reached now.

How does anyone else keep the pigeons off their brussel sprouts as they get bigger?

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 13:04:40 »
nets

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 14:30:07 »
Well this is my attempt, whether it will work or not I don't know......

We're surrounded by mini woodlands so I'm not taking any chances, they're for my Christmas dinner!  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 17:44:39 »
old net curtains draped over the tops. so far so good!

anthea

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 09:22:33 »
Thanks, electric landlady, I find that idea very manageable. I'm hugely impressed by posie's net cage but daunted by the prospect and by how much netting and patience it would take to create such a fine thing.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 09:30:11 »
Thanks, electric landlady, I find that idea very manageable. I'm hugely impressed by posie's net cage but daunted by the prospect and by how much netting and patience it would take to create such a fine thing.

It actually only took me about an hour and a half, the bamboo canes from the beans and 1 box of garden netting from Focus and some twisty twine, although I will admit the patience cost extra! lol  ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 11:27:32 »
Anthea...I'm itching to ask...where are you off to?

Here's something else, but be warned! I grew brussels sprouts for the 1st time last year :-\...

Mine 'blew' and were insect-ridden; I only harvested a few :( I cut them down to ground level and to my surprise ::) they grew again....not sprouts, as such, but more like sprout tops? And they were delicious 8)

So, I'm thinking.....if after your netting, etc. they're still not usable, perhaps my experience last year might help you get something edible?

(and btw....tell me again....where are you going? :D)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 11:47:30 »
Really fed up with my sprouts, most of them have blown, picked four that seemed OK but threw them on the compost heap as couldn't be bothered with cooking 4 small sprouts.  I am tempted to dig them all up but will wait a while and then try your advice of cutting them back and using the tops.  My PSB is nearly as tall as me and looking very healthy with loads of leaves, but will I get any brocolli.  What with white fly and pigeons (I did net them, the plants not the pigeons) feel like going to Morrisons to buy greens. Want to go to pick up some leaves from the allotment for compost but it is very cold in north London today so will continue to play on the computer.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 11:48:52 »
We only eat them at Christmas.Don't bother to grow them.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 00:28:36 »
most of them have blown
  - what do you mean when you say blown? Keep looking at mine and thinking they don't seem to be doing much...... haven't a clue! lol

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 05:08:54 »
what do you mean when you say blown? Keep looking at mine and thinking they don't seem to be doing much......

In gardening, the term 'Blown' is an expression used usually regarding brassicas,  not just sprouts.  The sprouts should ideally be nice tight buttons of leaves to form the hardened ball of the vegetable.  When they 'blow',  the sprouts have opened up to become loose leaves and no longer have their renowned ball shaped uniformity of the humble sprout.  If this happens - some people resign them to the compost heap and others cook them as small cabbage like leaves.  Unfortunately, we can’t blame this one on the weather! Loose, open sprouts are caused by poor soil conditions. Always plant out into a firm soil.

Just found this - Become a brussel sprout expert:
http://www.vegetable-garden-guide.com/how-to-grow-brussel-sprouts.html
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 08:06:49 »
The frame from those cheap mini-greenhouses, which invariably get blown around and then thrown, make excellent netting posts for brassicas!  ;D

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 15:15:08 »
Thanks ktlawson, have a feeling mine may well have done this  :(

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 16:54:30 »
Well my sprouts have really blown and dug them all up and put on the compost heap.  The PSB seems OK and read on the seed packet that not ready until February.  If they keep growing will be as big as trees my then.  Also when I dug up the sprouts found loads and loads of white fly so didn't even fancy eating the brussel tops (which I remember Mum made me eat).  Well got some Rosemary to put on the chicken and some everlasting spinach, although that has been eaten my pigeons I assume.  Very wet under foot and think I have bought half the allotment home on my boots.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal