Author Topic: The Council's responsibility?  (Read 2619 times)

medicinejack

• Not So New ...
The Council's responsibility?
« on: October 31, 2008, 20:48:28 »
Hi all,

Looking for help again, as the wheels of progress seem to turn slower than a Madonna chord change.

After attending a meeting with a local trust organisation and the County Council, they informed me that they are only legally obliged to '.... see if it is possible to have allotments in the area... not to automatically provide them, even if demand is sufficient ....'.

Is this true?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: The Council's responsibility?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 21:11:36 »
The governing legislation is the Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908 and the wording is:

(1) If the council of any borough, urban district, or parish are of opinion that there is a demand for allotments in the borough, urban district, or parish, the council shall provide a sufficient number of allotments, and shall let such allotments to persons resident in the borough, district, or parish, and desiring to take the same.
(2) On a representation in writing to the council of any borough, urban district, or parish, by any six registered parliamentary electors or persons who are liable to pay an amount in respect of council tax resident in the borough, urban district, or parish, that the circumstances of the borough, urban district, or parish are such that it is the duty of the council to take proceedings under this Part of this Act therein, the council shall take such representation into consideration.

It's a minefield.  The best source of help is the National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners who can help you fight to get allotments established.

http://www.nsalg.org.uk

medicinejack

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 19:16:36 »
Thanks Ceres,

I'll keep in touch with them if the aforementioned parties become evasive, as I expect they will.

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 11:45:32 »
to reiterate the 2nd point from ceres, if you have not done so already get your 6 "good citizens and true" together and write to the council.

There is an interesting article in the latest nsalg magazine (no. 4 2008) by Bryn Pugh, their legal consultant on the subject of just how many plots should be provided for a given population. The Thorpe Report on Allotments (1969) suggested 15 standard 10 pole plots per 1,000 households as the acceptable minimum. NSALG is pushing for 20 plots to be considered the minimum.

medicinejack

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 17:24:56 »
Cheers BAK,

I've done the six names, before the local trust got involved, but what you've just told me could prove very useful information to counteract their lip service to the idea.

Thanks.

portsmouth30

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 20:26:17 »
ANOTHER INTERESTING POINT IS ONE THAT I HEARD FROM A FRIEND ON THE COUNCIL HERE, IT STATES THAT WHEN THE COUNTRY IS AT WAR THERE IS A RESPONSIBILITY FOR GOVERMENT TO PROVIDE LAND FOR CULTIVATION.
AND AS WE ARE TECHNICALLY AT WAR THE COUNCIL CAN'T REFUSE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH AN ALLOTMENT.
HOPE YOU FIND THIS OF SOME USE

medicinejack

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 21:16:52 »
Thanks Portsmouth30,

I'll will really enjoy using this angle, if necessary. Even if they set up a site without fuss I will relish mentioning it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal