Author Topic: Who's been digging in my garden?  (Read 2532 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Who's been digging in my garden?
« on: August 24, 2004, 09:42:41 »
Twice in the last week I've encountered a huge hole by the rhubarb on my morning walk round the garden.

I say huge, but it's really about a foot across and the same deep. It's not like the holes dug by foxes and cats to cover their p** - it's bigger and I didn't find any droppings.

It's right by the decking that's next to the pond that the frogs and toads often hide under - maybe the animal was trying to get at them? And next to my big rhubarb (the roots have been disturbed - I hope it's ok).

What might've done it? How can I discourage it?
gone to pot :D

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re:Who's been digging in my garden?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 10:56:36 »
Probally a badger. They eat mainly worms and roots. Will also scavenge for other stuff as well. Very very powerful diggers.

Look around the hole for foot prints, very different to a fox/dog.

They are not easy to discourage as they are creatures of habit. Renadine may help. Saok a cloth in the fluid and hang near where they have been active,

HTH

Jerry

Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 11:10:35 »
hmmmm - interesting Jerry. I wasn't sure if we had badgers nearby, but I suppose they must be around somewhere. I filled the hole in already, but next time (there's bound to be) I'll have a good look for prints.

I really must spend a night in the shed to see what goes on out there overnight!
gone to pot :D

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 19:21:12 »
 ;DWe should all keep a night watch, I'd love to know what goes on in the dead of night......in the garden. I'd never stay awake though.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal