Author Topic: Blocking senders in OE  (Read 2276 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Blocking senders in OE
« on: October 25, 2008, 09:30:51 »
Does the sender get a message saying that you have blocked them, or will they get their returned mail as 'undeliverable' - anyone know, please?

Thanks.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
Re: Blocking senders in OE
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 17:44:32 »
Wot! 46 views and no-one knew the answer? ::) :P

Well, I do now 8)

Ans = mail goes straight into the 'deleted' file, but no 'blocked' message gets sent to sender.

A result, of sorts... :-\

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 17:52:48 »
Hi,

First look at A4A today or I would have answered you earlier.  As I remember from days gone by if you block a sender you change the rule to block them but I thought you still received the email and it was your choice not to open it as it went to a file named whatever :)

The person you have blocked certainly doesn't know that you have blocked them and they don't receive the email back.

The easy way is to change your email settings so the email doesn't open when you click on it and then you can just delete any email if you don't know who it is from or you don't want to read an email from a certain person.  Also it is a good way to stop anything coming in via email like a virus or if you are tempted to open attachments as you only open an email if you want to.

Sinbad

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 18:24:55 »
Thanks Sinbad, I did a test by sending myself an OE mail from a yahoo account.....it went straight into the deleted file without showing in my inbox. As I never look in that file before deleting all, I'm OK with that. Just a pity that the sender (myself at yahoo in this case) doesn't get a 'blocked' or 'undeliverable' mail....

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 18:38:45 »
If you have full control of the server mail can be bounced back to the sender but nowadays this is considered a waste of resources. Better it is just deleted.

Should you want to nark the sender you do have the option of sending them an email notifying them that they are blocked but you will never be sure that they receive the mail because they may have blocked you.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 19:36:59 »
Isn't it a better option to log onto your mail account on the net, and set up your blocks there? That way they never reach your computer at all. My provider has the option of deleting them straight away, or of leaving them in a junk folder for 10 days first. That way you're not wasting even a gnatosecond of your pc's time on rubbish

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 23:02:39 »
I've posted this before - Use 'Cloudmark'.
OK, it costs but like Zone Alarm - it's very good!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 23:07:29 »
My email settings are adjusted so as to filter most junk mail.  Others I delete without opening because you never know if it is a virus.  Never reply, even to tell them to stop.  Once they know your email address is active you will be bombarded with loads more.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 07:49:26 »
If you use message rules in OE you can use have emails deleted straight off the server so they dont even get downloaded to your pc.
there are quite a few configurations available so you can block domains as well as individual addresses, multiple addresses, subject etc etc etc
you can also move emails to other folders change their colours, flag them etc etc etc

there is an overview here

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/junkmail.mspx

hth glow

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 15:35:04 »
Thanks for the additional info, which I'm sure might be of help to others. For me, it was mail from just one individual which I really didn't want to get. Now sorted, thanks to Message Rules in OE (tho it would have been nice to have a 'bounce back' facility check box....grrrrr)

;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal