Author Topic: mmmmmmmm  (Read 776 times)

mark45

• Half Acre
mmmmmmmm
« on: October 22, 2008, 09:50:05 »
well all slow now at the plot nothing to do lol,well i guess its like that this time of year,i guess the winter crops that i have put in will be real slow popping up,but i dont know as you all know this is my first year lol

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
Re: mmmmmmmm
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 11:02:07 »
Ha! ha!, it's never quite, if you haven't done these jobs, or made them yet, then you can rest,
 it's the time to collect leaves to make compost,
make up more compost bins,
get more waterbutts, so they can fill over winter from the rain,
clean your coldframes, green house, poly tunnel, shed, or make them, if you dont have them,
double dig your plot and add manure where your potatoes and beans peas will go, single dig the rest,
make any raisedbeds,
sow your onions, garlic, broadbeans, early peas, sweetpeas, winter lettuce,rocket, spinch, (place under fleece,small polytunnel,or in a coldframe,etc,etc,)
transplant spring cabbages,
wash your seedtrays and pots,
put a grease band around fruit trees,
prune fruit bushes, plant new strawberrys, or any fruit bushes,
put manure around  rhubard
do a plan for next year so you can look in the seed catalogues and order your seeds,(or get them from e-bay) or from friends on here as swaps,, ??? ??? ::) ;D ;)
others may do a few more things over the winter time,
enjoy your spare time ;D ;D
all the best
windy ;)
my allotment
heaven

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 12:02:10 »
No time to rest when you have a lottie. I echo what Windy says.

Tidy out your shed. Replace any screws/nails you used this summer, so you have a handy supply for next year. Check your string supply and nets. Mend any holes in your nets ready for the new season (sound like a fisherman now  ;D)
As the leaves fall, collect them up and keep an eye out for any good pea sticks, if your out walking in the woods  ;)
Start making your newspaper pots for next season.
Make plant labels from milk cartons
Sort out your seed collection, ask friends and neighbours for any seed you can snag from their garden plants (supply your own envelopes).
Watch for any seed swaps on A4A, they are good fun and a great way to try new varieties.
Paint your shed, clean the glass on your greenhouse.

Ok just a few more jobs to keep you going  8)

Lauren
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 17:17:20 »
reinforce the base of the walls of your shed to ratproof them. Use bricks or something tough like thick small hole mesh.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal