Author Topic: Kosher Garlic  (Read 1764 times)

slimpaul

• Half Acre
  • I'm not a llama!
Kosher Garlic
« on: August 23, 2004, 18:14:19 »
Hi all, first post here and not Shouting  :)
Just back from a trip to France where we brought three heads of Garlic from our local market, hard to find as the majority was Spanish!  Have put the cloves in a deep celled tray and will plant out later with Winter Buffalo Onions when the raised bed is ready. Well thats the idea anyway as I believe Autumn is a good time for this?
Terry  

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Kosher Garlic
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 22:35:15 »
Welcome slimpaul.  I shall be planting my garlic out late autumn time and hope the white rot and rust leaves well alone this year.  :-\

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 07:31:40 »
Just remember to rotate the crop - or the dreaded WR may catch you out. = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 12:28:04 »
Mine is going right at the opposite end of the plot this time.  I have encorporated loads of compost so fingers and toes are tightly crossed!

slimpaul

• Half Acre
  • I'm not a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 19:06:10 »
Thanks for tip about wr thought you only got it from a long hot summer!!! Will be crop rotating from eight 4'x4' raised beds from next season which will be the first by this method. At the moment we have 5 rod plot and only found out at weekend that we are only using a third of it! Not planning too far ahead as we are still under threat of losing our lotties to the dreaded housing. At this time we are having a public enquiry which has gone up to Mr. Prescott!  Only had the plot for this year... but very happy with the amount of produce so far. Still waiting for the baby sweetcorn though!
Terry

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 19:18:57 »
DO hope you keep your plot.

Eight beds? The growers, I think, rotate 7 or 8 times. And WR is not your fault - the growers are losing £!4m a year through it. = Tim

slimpaul

• Half Acre
  • I'm not a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 20:18:55 »
Re, eight beds.
well it's only two 4'x4' at mo plus one thats 4'x3'.  But when all 8 are ready that's a heck of a rotation to sort out!!  Plus the spuds and corn Ect. Probably leave a couple fallow or use them as a green mulch. Or Mother in Law will have a better idea if she does'nt fly south for the winter!
Terry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal