Author Topic: Apple disaster  (Read 955 times)

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
Apple disaster
« on: October 21, 2008, 18:46:19 »
After me showing off about my prolific apple trees, I went up today to see my plot and my main tree had blown down.

The roots were mainly ripped off apart from one horizontal root about 12 inches long. So I planted and staked it again.

What are its chances of survival?

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
Re: Apple disaster
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 19:05:13 »
Quite good. After all, most apple trees are planted as bare rooted. Just make sure that it is well staked. I know of other apple trees that have come adrift this year, probably due to the ground being so wet for so long. Also, it is recommended for apples on dwarfing root stocks to be well staked, as the root stocks are not so vigorous to provide enough anchorage for the tree without stakes.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 19:12:08 »
Earlier this year I had the top half of a 4 year old apple tree ripped off in bad weather.  I just left the rest tied and it produced plenty leaves but no apples this year.  (My other tree has produced them in abundance)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 20:05:00 »
Oh dear sawfish, you've done your best, but as with a lot of gardening - you have to keep your fingers crossed. ;D ???

valmarg

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 21:11:44 »
Plant it well, stake it, and hack the branches back hard. If it was me, I might well take them off altogether, depending on how much root it has left. That way, a little root won't be left struggling to provide enough water for a large area of leaf. Hope for the best. How old is it?

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 23:10:00 »
I would think you'll be O.K.  I dug an apple tree and moved it to a different location. This worked O.K.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 17:13:02 »
its a Jonagold in its 4th year now and about 7 foot tall.

Its just that most of the roots had ripped off.

I think I might chop the branches back like you mentioned.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 21:03:11 »
It should work, as it's young enough to recover well.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal