Author Topic: Sowing Aubergines in winter?  (Read 3026 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Sowing Aubergines in winter?
« on: October 20, 2008, 20:13:16 »
Got the moreveg newsletter today and they talk about sowing some aubergines in November to crop in May! Presumably you would have to have a lot of heat in your greenhouse to do this. Has anyone ever tried, or tried growing them in the house?
I've had a total of 3 aubergines from 7 plants this year and would love to hear any tips on what to do or best varieties for better success next year, although I expect more sun would be the best thing!

littlebabybird

• Hectare
Re: Sowing Aubergines in winter?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 20:42:41 »
no advice from me, but if you decide to go for it please do keep us posted
lbb

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 09:14:51 »
I imagine the timing of potting on might be an issue unless you have lots of space indoors. Ideally you don't want to discourage the root system / 'stop' the plant by letting it get too root bound.

Does anyone think that pinching out the tip not long after first potting on might give an extra few weeks to carry the seedling past the frost risk period?

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 13:26:39 »
I'm going to try this but keep them at home of a sunny windowsill until next spring, just a few as it won't cost much to try as an experiment but aubergines will do well in a good summer in a greenhouse believe me (in the north west england) but the past 2 years have been bad that's for sure

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 14:36:07 »
GQT said that If you start them off early and water with warm water, this will trick them, and the harvests will be higher! worth a shot don't you think?

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 17:29:12 »
ok, i think i might give this a go too
what varietys do you think would work best?
lbb

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 18:15:44 »
The two mentioned by moreveg are "Snowy" and "baby belle" but it may be that they are just plugging those two for other reasons!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 18:26:35 »
Can't answer for early sowing, but can say that I'm amazed at the pinch out & only allow 4 fruits or whatever.

Sticking to the smaller varieties, like Snowy, Mohican, Thai Green, Farmers Long, in a cold 'house, we average 20-30 per plant in grow bags.

And they have even done well - with protection - outdoors 650' up.

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 23:05:43 »
I think they did this on the Alternative Kitchen Garden podcast. I think it worked but they used a polytunnel for overwintering.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 10:08:27 »
I grow them outdoors in London having started them in a frost free greenhouse. Of the smaller types Calliope and Little Finger have done me well. Tried full size this year for the first time; Diamond did well in adverse conditions.

This year I'll also be trying  Bonica (normal size, meant to be early) and Ophelia (small).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 10:18:02 by Barnowl »

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 12:43:20 »
I had a really bad year this year and only got about two or three aubergines.  I still have massive plants in my polytunnel with flowers and everything but no fruit.  I am leaving a few in to see what happens - although I am not expecting anything fantastic from these plants.  I think that this year we had a lot less sun which may be part of the lack of effort of the plants.  I don't know how you do so well Tim - you will have to give us step by step instructions next year - Please!

Old Bird
 ;)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 12:15:56 »
as an update I have sown a couple of seeds of 4 varieties today - moneymaker, rosita, farmer's long and fairy tale - will let you know how it goes, just hope this doesn't turn into a fairy tale  ;D

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 15:38:20 »
Both Bonica and ahem,Money Maker (aubies of course) are good standard varieties-whether to sow now though?

It`s not germination that`s the problem but the cost of keeping them going and the low light levels.

My ambition this(next) year is to have aubies and peppers available for Easter as well as tomato plants-I keep fibbing to the tax man by saying this business makes a profit-if only :'(

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 16:52:01 »
This does not answer the question of how early - I don't start until end Feb/mid march, & as late as early May - in the cold house propagator. We then grow on on a heated bench. As Stephan says, it's the heat & light for growing on that matter.
There are many success stories, I'm sure, but this is just to dispute the difficulty & the pinching out bits.

We grow mainly in the cold house, in Grow Bags, with a daily Tomato feeding regime. Our season is short - from mid Aug, at the earliest to mid, Oct. When we tried outdoors, we protected with 4 Dutch Lights. In effect a cold frame. We are 650' up.

We have grown Macchiaw, Barbentane, Thai Long Green, Snowy, Long Tom, Slim Jim. Black Prince & Orient. Average has been between 11 & 20 (not 30 as said earlier). We prefer the slim ones - much meatier, especially for pickle, although unstuffable.

You've seen the photos before, but here are some again.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 16:53:35 by tim »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 18:31:51 »
Did you have to show those again, Tim? They make me so envious. >:( ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal