Author Topic: Are we still being had?  (Read 1249 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Are we still being had?
« on: October 17, 2008, 13:06:56 »
Went to fill up the truck this morning and noticed the price of petrol had dropped under the £1 again. Now before it went up diesel was a couple of pence more than petrol, now it is 10p dearer than petrol. It has nothing to do with emissions etc as a lot of diesels are cleaner than cars, also you get stung in London for emmissions in old diesel trucks. So it makes sense to own a cleaner one.

I reckon we are still being had and the cost of transporting goods is  being kept artificially high for no good reason.

I cannot see diesel costing more to make as over on the continent it was always cheaper than petrol until the last bout of highway robbery by the oil giants.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Are we still being had?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 14:44:19 »
As the sale of diesel cars has apparently increased by around 40% over the past 5 years, I would agree that the humble motorist is once again being taken for a ride by the government. :( :(
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 22:56:49 »
As the sale of diesel cars has apparently increased by around 40% over the past 5 years, I would agree that the humble motorist is once again being taken for a ride by the government. :( :(

No, by the Petrol Companies. The tax rates remain the same, % wise, whatever the price is. When I used a Diesel car DERV was 2p per litre cheaper than petrol, now its around 11p dearer. It's all to do with demand and supply. Kerosene used to be a very cheap fuel (Farm Tractors etc.), but since the change of aircraft from piston engines to jets the price has increased a lot. I used to crew on a boat fitted with vaporisers, it did 2.5 miles per gallon, but was the cheapest fuel (Green Vaporising Oil).
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 09:33:36 »
There is another reason why DERV is high priced at the pumps. My cousin owned a plumbing firm and a taxi firm, he had his own storage tank. When I was paying around 60p per litre he was paying 21p ex Vat.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal