Author Topic: carrot fly agian  (Read 13798 times)

KathrynH

• Acre
Re: carrot fly agian
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2008, 20:48:38 »
Planting your carrots in between rows of onions really does keep carrot fly at bay. They still get a few late on in the crop but I find they miss the worst of any attack.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 13:24:14 »
Humbug to you as well, the great gardener
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2008, 14:56:55 »
I've tried  interplanting onions and carrots and it never worked for me  ???      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2008, 17:13:32 »
Interplanting carrots with onions and other alliums seems to work for me, touch wood. Dill is also a deterrent to carrot fly, I'm told.
Keep Calm and Carry On

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2008, 17:00:52 »
I find you need at least 2 rows of onions either side of the carrots for it to really work, but garlic and shallots do the trick as well. Works best for me with early carrots.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2008, 17:13:32 »
Soak cut off lengths of hessian sack in creosote and hang them between rows of carrot and onions to keep the carrot and onion fly at bay

Thanks for that tip Richard ! I will be trying it .   Dont over soak till it drips everywhere,just enough for the dried rags to waft the creosote fragrance about in the breeze right ?    ;)
                      Thanks !  Debs
Trespassers will be composted !

Moonbeam65

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2008, 19:44:57 »
After we sow our carrots we wait until they start to show  we then thin them out a little not forgetting to press down the soil around the ones that are left and then we cover them completely with a good fleece  and leave them to grow.

We don't touch them again until they are ready for harvesting works for us give it a try we have been free from the carrot fly for three years now. hope this helps.

misterroy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2008, 20:29:05 »
My neighbour is 82, he's tried the interplanting, only fly so high theories out, he has carrot fly. He previously used a now banned chemical, which worked. The next neighbour hardly has a carrot, I think he interplanted this year. I have no carrot fly. I bought some wondermesh, its like enviromesh. It lasts up to 10 years, my oldest bit has done three seasons its still like new. No carrot fly, no white butterfly, no cabbage fly.
Get the wallet out and spend £20, or £2 a year if you buy a small bit.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2008, 20:55:56 »
If you can get it soot is a good repellent also for onion fly but as Tee Gee says it needs to be aged. I am lucky that i know a chimney sweep that is glad to get rid of some of his waste soot to me.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Kingfisher

• Half Acre
  • My Allotment
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 21:33:39 »
HI can I just tell you about ther carrots that I grew last year on my allotment

I started my first lot off by sowing them in toilet rolls cut in half and planted the whole lot with the tubes put a small plastic barrier around the bed about 15inc high = a very nice bunch of carrots.

a bit later in the year I just put the seed of the carrots straight in to the ground
with the barrier around them but as soon as I  thined them out the carrot fly took hold and I lost them all.

well I know what I will be doing this year, still collecting the loo rolls  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal